Colour Picker and Working Colour Space

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Colour Picker and Working Colour Space

Post by Marpel »

Dieter,

Thanks again. Thought I was losing my mind and seeing things that no one else did.

I'm surprised though that you don't see the same I have experienced with the marked change in the Colour Picker when changing from Adobe to ProPhoto. If the only difference I experienced was the change in Marsala to pink, I probably wouldn't have even mentioned it, but when the Colour Picker changed, it caused me to wonder.

By the way, why do you prefer the Chroma2000 D65 colour space? Does it have advantages that Adobe or ProPhoto do not? I have no experience with it at all.

Marv
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Marv,

Do you see that "jump" just visually or does it occur in the (RGB) values in the color picker too ?

I use Chrome2000 D65 since my very first touch with PWP, 3.1 was the version back then if I remember correctly.
In the "Color Management" white paper it was, and is still, described as covering practically the gamut of slide film.
I had a lot of slides to scan back then, so it was a natural decision for me to try it.
It's bigger then AdobeRGB, but not as huge as ProPhotoRGB, so it can be used with 8 bit jpegs from a point and shoot as well as with RAWs from my DSLR.
It covers almost all of the gamuts of my printer / paper combinations, just the most intense yellows are a bit out in some cases, but I can live with that.
After all, I have been happy with it over the years, it gives me good quality of my images, so after a short playing around with ProPhoto I went back to Chrome 2000 D65.
Dieter Mayr
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The color picker is always in the working color space - to display it requires converting it to the monitor color space. Since much of the pro photo color space is outside the monitor gamut, the color picker will look strange when using pro photo as the working color space. There is no good reason that I know of to use pro photo as a working color space since there are no output devices that can display it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Thanks Dieter and Jonathan for your replies.

Marv
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Marv,

As I thought, that discontuinity you see in the color picker depends on the monitor profile.
Last week I did my checks on my main monitor, and now I thought i could test with just my laptop display, and I get some discontuinity in the magenta range that I dont see on my main monitor.
So it highly depends on your monitor profile, probably on the rendering intent too.
Never did know my Monitor is still that good ;)

How do you like your D810 ? I still use a D700, I do not intend to upgrade in the next time, but it's always nice to get first hands information.
Dieter Mayr
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Dieter,

Funny thing though, many pros (Jeff Schewe and others) advocate using ProPhoto. From conversations I have read on other forums, they suggest it is the only profile to use if one is serious about getting the best end product. Except for the issues I have encountered, subject of this thread, it seemed to be working for me. However, I use the colour picker a great deal to generate new solid hue images, and it apparently doesn't work so well for that. Perhaps if I just did the usual photo editing, it might be OK.

As for the D810, I just picked it up along with a Zeiss 135 f2 from The Camera Store in Calgary (although I live in the Vancouver area). When I bought it from their website (Thecamerastore dot com), they had both on for far less than any other place - just under $1000 Cdn cheaper than anywhere else I found (last time I checked the D810 was $3059 + 5% tax but you only see that price when you go to the cart - and it was listed for $3499 on their site and in the store - go figure).

Anyway, I have only taken the combo out two times so far and they are the sharpest combination I have ever used (used to have a D3X and Zeiss 100 makro). Funny thing is, the D810 has more dials/buttons/switches/levers/menus/combinations and other attributes, but I only use spot metering and everything else in manual mode with tripod and mirror lock-up (in fact when I sold my D3X to a local guy, I had to refer to the manual to show him how to use all its functions). Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Marv