Highlight Clipping

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Highlight Clipping

Post by Marpel »

Latest version, just downloaded.

I have an image (of sunrise at Mesa Arch) in which the colours are reds/yellows/purples of varying degrees, and the sun, with flare, is visible. As I was making some changes, I was checking the highlight clipping by clicking the button on and off.

Initially, the highlight clipping colours were set to dark purple and light purple.

Whenever I clicked the highlight clipping button, the image dimmed in the highlight areas (including the sun) and when I turned off the button, the image returned to it's normal tones. The highlight warning colour did not appear anywhere on the image.

The dark clipping button has no effect on the image (other than showing the clipping colour).

Thinking the colours I had chosen for the warnings were related to the colours in the image and may be affecting this, I changed the warning colours to some which were completely unrelated, but the dimming continued. I closed out the program, re-opened and tried the same thing again with the same results.

This has not occurred before, even on this same image.

Any idea why this is happening?

Marv
jsachs

Re: Highlight Clipping

Post by jsachs »

I don't see this happening here. I tried with color management on and off. Do you have monitor curves enabled?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Monitor Curves on Startup is None and Enabled is not checked.
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

And I just tried it on a few other images where there are highlights that are close to clipping but not clipped, and I see the same thing. The highlights dim, some just a bit, some more noticeable. Most of the images have have sunrise/sets in the yellow/orange hues, but one, of a bunch of translucent umbrellas against a blue sky also show dimming in some of the highlight areas of the umbrellas. The first image I mentioned shows the effect the most and is quite noticeable when clicking clipping off and on repeatedly.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Can you send me or post a small version of the images? Do you have a proofing profile and a gamut alarm set? Also can you post a screen shot of your Preferences dialog box so I can see the settings?

jsachs@dl-c.com
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Post by Winfried »

Maybe the problem is that pressing the highlight or shadow clipping button seemes to disable color management, maybe just the monitor profile.
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Not sure of file size limitations, so don't know if I can do this all in one post, but I will attach the image I was referencing, initially, and the screenshots of Preferences and Colour Management settings.
Attachments
Screenshot (2) v1.png
Screenshot (2) v1.png (43.46 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
Screenshot (1) v2.png
Screenshot (1) v2.png (49.09 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
2696-copy.jpg
2696-copy.jpg (59.7 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

What's the story with your monitor profile? If you set the monitor profile Ignore System Monitor Profile Settings and then select sRGB or AdobeRGB does the problem go away?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I was largely ignoring the Monitor settings as when I recently replaced my system and moved to Win10, the monitor profiling hardware was not supported, so I am waiting until the current conditions allow me to go and purchase a compatible product.

Having said all that, I did follow your recommendations and chose AdobeRGB and all seems to be fine now. Funny though, that clicking/un-clicking the clipping button would cause this.

Thanks very much for the help.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I need to check what happens when you ask PWP to get the monitor profile from the system and there isn't one defined.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color