files, batch, misc items

Moderator: jsachs

rfuerman
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: sony rx100iii

files, batch, misc items

Post by rfuerman »

Hello:
PWP 8.0.72, Windows 10

23) Menu | Script | Open Script - opens to last document folder (sometimes). Cf. Menu | Script | Open WS script opens to the PWP/Workspace Scripts folder. The Save Script items also default to save to a doc folder.
23a) Menu | 'open multiple files' and batch 'file open' dialogs open to a doc folder (sometimes), and its usually a different folder than the last time. Better to default to the default folder for image files? I would think it is a rare occasion that the user does *not* want to open images from the default folder location?
24) menu | 'Default folder' should be the 'Default image folder' because it does not apply to scripts (#23, above), monitor curves, etc.
25) Load WS script, then load multiple files to process, double click top image to open batch 'file open' dlg, DE-select all files in dlg (all files have gray highlight); [Run all selected files in list] button -> Status, 'batch completed' msg dlg appears, but NO files processed. Select [Run all . . .] button again. Process dialog appears and PW crashes.
26) The batch 'file open' dlg uses the white high light on gray background to indicate selected files. Cf. the file open dlgs use a blue high light on the white back ground. The PW menus use a blue high light to select menu item on the gray background. Suggest change the color scheme on this dlg to be more consistent with other processes. I can never remember if selected files are gray or white. Also, a [Run all files] or a [Select all] button is helpful when there are lots of files in the batch.
27) Open batch 'open files' dlg, then F1 for help -> closes dlg. Matter of fact, F1 and F2 seem to close other dialogs as well - is that intended?
28) #27, cont'd: looking for help for the [Single batch], [Multiple batch] buttons which are not available & don't seem to do anything? Nevermind - the [?] help button does help & I seem to have only one file open transform. Do you expect this multiple file opens to happen often? May be better to remove buttons & have a dialog when there are multiple FO transforms to ask if user wants to run selected FO or all FOs??
29) menu | file save back. Jpeg options: Metadata = *none,* script = do not include, [OK] btn -> warning msg = "no original file - image will be saved without metadata" but metadata not requested.
30) batch process. There are a number of items which apply to the batch file process, but they are not labelled as such. Suggest that it would be helpful to label these batch items as applying to the batch:
a) File | 'Open multiple' sets up a batch process; each transform is applied to all images. Suggest rename this to 'open batch' or 'open batch files' because it does not appear to open multiple files to individual edit. The help files says that '... the rest are added to the file list.' This is really the batch file open list, is it not? Also, 'Open multiple' could imply that 'Open' and 'Open from Default' open only one image, but that is not the case, user can select multiple files.
b) The batch 'file Open' dlg should be renamed to reflect that the user is opening the files to add to the batch process. And this dlg seems to be used for several other processes in addition to the file open, so the caption might reflect that. Perhaps 'Manage batch files'?
31) menu | compare. The Blinks per second do not need to be to 1/100 of a second. To a second or second 1/2 should be plenty. Just because you can . . . Aside: I love progress meters that display "22.63%" TMI; really. The percentage is already 1/100 of the progress.
Thank you, Bob
jsachs

Re: files, batch, misc items

Post by jsachs »

23) Open Script should default to open or save to the the folder you last opened or saved a file or script from -- if you have specific examples of where it doesn't, let me know. This is not inconsistent since scripts are commonly saved with the corresponding image file. Workspace scripts by default are placed in their own folder since they may be associated with no files or with multiple files.

25) Fixed for next release.

26) Certain user interface elements are controlled by Windows and not by PWP. This includes the File Open dialog box and the main menu. The colors of these items is based on the currently selected Windows theme. You can change the windows theme to be monochrome which I recommend so that the colors don't throw off your color adaptation.

27) F1 and F2 are keyboard equivalents for OK and Cancel within dialog boxes - they were added in support of Batch operations to facilitate processing breakpoints efficiently. Unfortunately, I forgot to update the list of keyboard shortcuts in the help file and tutorial when I added this feature, but I have fixed that for the next release.

29) Fixed for next release.

30) These items do not just apply to batch -- I often use them to manually select a different file and process it using the current workspace.

31) Changed blink readout to 1 decimal place.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color