S and M indicators

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

S and M indicators

Post by tomczak »

I just wanted to understand a bit better when exactly S and M indicators turn on.

For instance: I opened a TIFF image, then saved it as JPG (a separate file). An S indicator appeared because I indeed saved the image, but the open file is the old one not necessarily overwritten by a new one?. So would S mean that I used Save Back or Save As or Save to Default at all on any image, at least once for this particular one? Full stop?

And the M, which is for modifying? That really only applies to File Open? and compares Modify dates, or something else? And that would mean modify from outside of PWP?

Then Export can save files, but that's excluded from S indicator, isn't it?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Re: S and M indicators

Post by jsachs »

The S simply means that the underlying image has been saved. You can't save over the original file and the underlying image is not changed.

The M means that some time after the image was saved it was recalculated and thus may (or may not) have been changed.

Normally you would not pay attention to this on a file you just opened -- the normal case is when you save some image you have computed. The S is a reminder that you have saved it and the M is a reminder that it may have changed since you saved it.

Export does not affect the S or M.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

So, if I got it right, and it's not that important at all:

1) there can't be M unless there was S first?
2) M doesn't show when the image is recalculated by hand (i.e. by double-clicking on it and changing the transformation's parameters). But it does when the image is recalculated in a batch (image having been saved first)?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Will fix that for next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color