workflow problem

Moderator: jsachs

HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

workflow problem

Post by HanSch »

To view images on a tv-set I made the following workflow: resize image (bounding rectangle, to fit the width or height of the tv-screen), change color profile from Adobe-RGB to sRGB, save as jpeg 95% quality.
I used an identical workflow in the past on my previous pc; that pc had a 2 core processor but PWPro recognized only 1 core, so only 1 core was used. Always worked fine. W-XP, 32 bit.
I got a new pc, 6 core AMD processor, Windows 7, PWPro 64 bit. All cores are found by PWPro, all images are processed very fast. But only about 20% of the images are saved, although all images are processed o.k. according to the message after the completion of the workflow. If I change the number of cores in the workflow preferences to 2, 50% of the images are saved. If I use only 1 core, all images are saved.
I was wondering if the processing might be too fast for writing to the hard disk. Windows and my applications are installed on an SSD, so I tried to save to the SSD, but with no different result.
Anyone else with similar experiences? Am I doing something stupid?
ksinkel

Re: workflow problem

Post by ksinkel »

Make sure you are not using sequence numbers in your Save File widget. Sequence numbers can only be used with a single core. Using them with multiple cores can result in files overwriting each other.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
artifex
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: SONY A700

Post by artifex »

Hi, Kiril
When I use the Save widget in a workflow, while wanting to rename image files in sequence like that,
save-1.jpg
save-1.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
they don’t renumber correctly, but like below.
files-1.jpg
files-1.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
It’s especially painful when there are several hundreds images….
I tested your councils above, but the result is identical.
PWP 32 v6.0.10 is running on a PC with Intel Core i7 950 (4 cores) under Window7.
Where is my error?
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Post by HanSch »

Thanks Kiril,
I indeed used sequence numbers. Problem solved.

I assume that the next issue, described by Artifex, has the same cause. The ... [1], ...[2] file names are generated because "Generate unique name" is selected while using sequence numbers.
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Just to be clear, if you want to use sequence numbers, make sure that Do not multitask is checked. The Do not multitask option is located under the File button in the Workflow pane.

This setting is saved when you save the workflow.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
artifex
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: SONY A700

Post by artifex »

Thanks Kiril, now that functions perfectly.
Andrew