...Customized Light Beams?...

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

...Customized Light Beams?...

Post by den »

There is a "customized light beams" tutorial to be found on the DPR-Retouching forum here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=42327932

I was unable to duplicate the tutorial easily as there is no Zoom to the Gradient transform's Radial Sweep, so I took the author's final Example image, modified it to have full dynamic range about a 50% gray tone background for use as the Overlay in the Composite-Soft Light or Hard Light transform with Alignment: "2-point (shift/rotate/scale)".
LightBeams_BW_modified_400px-1.jpg
LightBeams_BW_modified_400px-1.jpg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
An aggressive example [Soft Light Overlay Amount = 100] for illustration purposes:
IMG_0489-Example_400px-1.jpg
IMG_0489-Example_400px-1.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
A higher resolution and less aggressive application example is the top image where light beams have been subtlely added to the clouds and fog, posted here: http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/12/IMAG ... _12_92.htm.

While the modified template image will be of general use as it can be mirrored; and/or a 50% toned color cast temperature of 4500K added to provide late afternoon sunlight ambience; and/or 'shifted/rotated/scaled'... ...it might be useful to be able to create alternate beam arrangements.

Does any one know a way in PWP to duplicate the Zoom? ...or have a PWP 'beam' workflow already in hand they could share?

If there is further interest, I can upload the suggested PWP modified LightBeam template image [900x900 pixels, 24-bit Black/White, 100% Jpeg quality, 191KB] and post the 'link' for unrestricted use by all...

...den..
couman

Re: ...Customized Light Beams?...

Post by couman »

there is no Zoom to the Gradient transform's Radial Sweep
Some quick thoughts:
There is no zoom, but you can accomplish the same function using the warp transform in "rigid" mode. Alternatively, you can move the radial sweep off center (say to a corner). Also, the color line can be used to control the dynamic range, and, if desired, the beam length can be controlled with a superimposed oval gradient. Finally, other selective adjustments can be made using the masking transform.
Bob Coutant
artifex
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: SONY A700

Post by artifex »

Hi Den,
I have tried for several weeks to give a dynamic effect to an image of a bird appearing out of clouds, while adding to it of the light beams which would come out a point between two clouds behind the bird, but by leaving it in his natural light. I especially tested with Gradient Transformation, Type=Radial Sweep, Cycle=10 to 100, blurring…
But the results are disappointing and nonrealistic. I would like to carry out tests with your template since you propose it.
Thanks in advance

Andrew
den

Post by den »

Seeking tutorial author's image use permission... ...den...
den

Post by den »

BobC and Andrew...

The difficulty I had with the available PWP options [drop shadow, gradients both linear, oval, and radial, displacing gradient blurs, etc] was that I could not get away from a contrived, too uniformly repeating pattern for the beam template and the required intensive manual sequences... ...which is why "gl2k"'s resulting tutorial image attracted me... ...the suggested PWP modified version seems to be very generic and usable in a variety of ways resulting in a 'natural' effect when subtlely applied...

...in any case, 'permission use' is given and a download image and illustrations are here:
http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/tutoria ... eams01.htm

...enjoy... ...ask if there are questions... ...and feedback would be useful if successes are achieved...

...den...
artifex

Post by artifex »

Den and BobC,

I didn’t think using the drop shadow, nor the gradients, linéar, oval or radial; I will thus work there. My goal is to reach at a modular and realistic solution, with gradual variations of gray tons, which can apply to images of very diverse inspiration.
I will have certainly questions after having carried out some tests, in particular to BobC for translate the gl2k’s zoom into Warp Transform.
Thanks to both
den

Post by den »

I have added an Alternate Beam Template image where there is no tone reversal along the length of the beam to the web page: http://www.ncplus.net/~birchbay/tutoria ... eams01.htm

The alternate template will produce more natural beam effects near the 'origin' point and along the entire beam length...

The original template will produce more natural 'drama' if the effect is limited to the last two-thirds of the beam length [ie, exclude the origin]...

...have fun...

Andrew... ...looking forward to your reports of success!!!...

...den...
artifex

Post by artifex »

I tested several workflows starting from the suggestions but finally returned to a more prosaic unfolding and what follows appears (it is a personal taste) best to correspond to than I sought.

First method:
mask3.JPG
Step1:
a) Open an image on which apply the light beam.
b) Open Mask - New - Polygon.
c) Place one of the initial control points towards where the light comes, for example, the left top corner, and even beyond. Draw the opposite corner in the opposite angle and the two other points on each adjacent dimensions, according to the light desired angle.
d) Place control points all the way along these, with dimensions according to the distribution: 2 points closer, 1 spaced point, 2 closer points, 1 spaced point, and so on. One must have two points closer at each end. The closer points must be separate by 25 to 30 pixels to avoid artefacts which I saw appearing when these points are not doubled or if they are too much closer.
e) Draw on the spaced points in the direction of the origin point from the rays, according to the following diagram, without never the lines are touching nor cutting. When the rays appear well distributed, Apply creating Mask1.
step1.JPG
Step2:
Click on Mask1. Open Blur Transformation - Gaussian
Radius = 15 to 25 according to the thickness of the rays
Threshold = 90 to 100 to avoid artefacts.
OK Creating Mask2

Step3:
Click on Mask2 - Open Gradient Transformation
Level = 30 to 40
Type = Multipoint
Operation = Filter
Color = black or color of choice.
Move the four control points to obtain the desired gradient (position and intensity).
OK creating Mask3
Possibly, extend to full dynamic range.

Second method (Faster) :
mask2b.JPG
The first step is the same than the first method, but without leaving the masks Tool, after having drawn the mask of beams,
Step 2b : Do Feather= 25, Apply, then Blur = 5 to 10, and Apply; OK creating Mask2b.

…ask if there are questions…as would say Den…

Andrew
artifex

Post by artifex »

For a first attempt, it’s not a master stroke: my images didn’t follow the post….
Sorry. Can somebody help me ?

Andrew
den

Post by den »

Andrew... even without the illustrations, I was able to follow your workflow which is very adequately described and I like your suggestion because of the way you can customize the beams to suite the image to which they are to be applied perhaps getting a better 'fit' then my suggested templates...

Thank you for taking the time to experiment and post. Perhaps as me, writing/describing the workflow enforces the learning.

If you would like to email me the illustrations, I will upload them to the message board and described how it was done!!!...
... birch_bay a_ hotmail _o_ com .