Update Available - Version 8.0.417

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Update Available - Version 8.0.417

Post by jsachs »

An update is available to Version 8.0.417 (28-Jan-2023)
Download Link: https://www.dl-c.com/Downloads.html

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

When a transformation is active and you use the tool bar to select whether to display the input image, the preview image, or both side by side, you now have the option of holding down the Alt key when you click on the tool bar. If the Alt key is not depressed, Picture Window does a zoom to fit when switching side-by-side display on or off. If the Alt key is depressed, the current zoom factor is preserved.

Adjust transformation: added commands to reset the settings in each of the four tabs without affecting the other settings.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Update Available - Version 8.0.417

Post by Marpel »

Latest release, although this also occurred with the prior version as well, so not a new-release issue.

Comp with two images and generate a new mask for the overlay image, in this case initially using flood fill.

Then use the freehand tool to either add or subtract to the mask.

When drawing the addition/subtract on the left window, the cursor moves on that image.

The mask "outline" line mirrors the path of the cursor but in a different location in the image window (up and to the right) and is not "attached" to the cursor.

However, when completing that action, the mask change actually occurs where the cursor was drawing, so the mask is actually completed in the intended location.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I am not seeing this here -- can you supply some more information. Are the images zoomed in or out while you create the mask? Does this always happen or only sometimes? Does it matter that you do a flood fill first? How large and what types are the images? Also, what version of Windows are you using and what scale factor is your monitor set to?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Whoa....not sure I have seen so many questions in such a short space..... I am away from my editing computer but will try to answer all.

Should first mention that I use a dual monitor system, with the main Work Area on the primary (right) monitor and the Browser on the secondary monitor. Also have it set up so any Dialogue box shows on the secondary monitor.

Requested Comp and identified the Overlay Image and the two image set-up shows on the main monitor. Dialogue box on the left monitor.

Not zoomed in when using Flood Fill, but zoomed in, using the 1:1 and + and - buttons, when using Freehand Tool.

Clicked the Overlay Image Mask icon and initially used the Flood Fill tool where as a result of a bit of "overflow", I decided to use the Freehand tool with the Subtract mode (this was immediately after answering the pop-up to confirm mask was set or whatever that question is). Red mask overlay shows on the image (left window) and when I tried to draw an enclosure around the part I wished to subtract, the cursor (arrow, if I recall) followed the path I wanted, but the black line which normally follows the cursor started up and to the right (by a fair distance but still visible within the left window) and followed the exact pattern as the cursor but up and to the right. When I released the mouse left button, that mask portion disappeared. When I tried subtracting more, the same thing happened again.

Regarding happening all the time or sometimes, the process has been "normal" forever, but started today, however I recently upgraded to a more recent version and can't say for sure if the issue began after that upgrade or not (can't recall exactly when I upgraded and whether or not I did any Comp/masking between then and today). After I discovered this issue, and just to make sure it was not related to that version, I immediately uninstalled that version, then downloaded the most recent version. I then did the exact same process and the issue repeated itself. Could not try anything else as I had to go out for the day.

As mentioned, due to other duties, could not try doing this with different combinations of mask Tools. But will give them a run when I return home, if necessary.

Both images were 16 bit Tiffs, 7360 X 4912 (I think, close to that size anyway). In fact the Overlay image was a previously-changed version of the main image and the Comp was to mask in a bit of the revised image that I wanted to place into the main image.

Windows 10 Home. Don't understand the scale factor question, but the primary monitor is 1600 X 1200 (could be 1920 X 1200, I have been researching a replacement monitor and have a whole bunch of monitor sizes stuck in my head), I think and I run it with native resolution.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Thanks, I was eventually able to reproduce the problem -- it only happened in some cases when editing the Overlay mask.

Fixed for next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
desertaccessible

Post by desertaccessible »

I wanted to share a helpful feature that I recently discovered while working with transformations in Picture Window. When you have an active transformation, and you use the toolbar to toggle between displaying the input image, the preview image, or both side by side, there's a neat trick you can use.

Now, if you hold down the Alt key while clicking on the toolbar, you'll notice a subtle but significant change in behavior. When the Alt key is not depressed, Picture Window performs a zoom to fit action when switching side-by-side display on or off. However, if you keep the Alt key pressed while clicking, the software preserves the current zoom factor, providing a more customized and controlled viewing experience.

This Alt key functionality adds a level of flexibility to your workflow, allowing you to maintain your preferred zoom level while navigating between different display modes. It's a small detail, but it can make a substantial difference in the precision and convenience of your image transformations.