Nikon Z8 NEF files

Moderator: jsachs

repatterson

Nikon Z8 NEF files

Post by repatterson »

I am using the latest version of Picture Window Pro 8.0.399, but it is not able to read NEF (Nikon raw) files from my Nikon Z8 camera. It can read NEF files from any of my older Nikon digital cameras. Does Picture Window need a new (as yet unreleased) update to do this?
jsachs

Re: Nikon Z8 NEF files

Post by jsachs »

PWP uses third-party software called LibRaw to read raw files. Unfortunately this library is not updated very frequently so newer cameras are not supported until they get around to it. I don't know when the next release of LibRaw is scheduled but it could be a while -- the last update was in January.

In the meantime, you have several alternatives to get the files into Picture Window:

1) use the Nikon software that came with the camera (Nikon Capture NX-D?) to load the raw files and then save them as TIFFs
2) use commercial software such as DxO PhotoLab, Lightroom or Capture One to open the files and save them as TIFFs
3) try one of the free software packages such as Raw Therapee or DarkTable, but they may not work with the latest cameras.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Nikon Z8 NEF files

Post by Marpel »

I will chime in as well on the raw file issue.

Even though my Nikon is years old and recognized by PWP, I still use Capture NX-D to process the raws.

Having said that, I do very mild raw editing, more to ensure no clipping and to get the file fairly "flat", and export the file as a TIFF, which I then use PWP, and other editors, to work on that TIFF.

I will also say that I have never used NX-D sharpening (use Focus Magic on the TIFF) and most often leave WB alone in NX-D and use PWP to tweak WB, if the image needs it. I have compared WB results from various raw and other editors, and I find PWP better in most cases (although this seems to be image specific).

Marv