Moderator: jsachs

pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Printing issue : Print transformation inserted

Post by pierrelabreche »

Scenario :
  • File open
    File print
At this point a windows dialog for printing opens. The window dialog is stalled with a message meaning "communication with the printer in process".
[/attachment]
2023-06-30 print issue windows print screen.png To proceed, cancel the windows dialog for printing. Also notice that a print transform was inserted in the image tree ( it is empty, i.e. without a corresponding dialog box for parameters ) [attachment=1]2023-06-30 print issue PWP8.png
To proceed, close the print transformation.
  • File print

This brings the PWP print dialog box and the printing task can be completed with no further problem.
Attachments
2023-06-30 print issue windows print screen.png
2023-06-30 print issue windows print screen.png (52.77 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
2023-06-30 print issue PWP8.png
2023-06-30 print issue PWP8.png (70.02 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
jsachs

Re: Printing issue : Print transformation inserted

Post by jsachs »

I print using PWP regularly without problems -- there may be some problem with your printer or driver. When PWP starts the printing process it does make some calls to the printer driver to collect information about the page size, color capabilities, printer resolution, minimum margins, etc. If this fails for some reason I would expect more or less what you are seeing.

It is normal for the Print transformation to appear temporarily in the image browser while the Print command is being processed. It goes away when the command terminates. The same code is shared between the Print command and the Print transformation.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

When I do Ctrl-P, a Windows printer dialog pops up. It pops up quickly, so you might want to look into your connection between PC and printer.

I must remember to click on the little Preferences button, which launches the printer dialog for my Epson P800, where I set sheet size, color management mode, etc.

PWP used to have a printer setup choice on the dropdown File menu. Now it is the setup described above. The main thing I've impressed on myself is, go slowly during the entire sequence of print choices. Specify the paper/printer profile. Double-check the placement preview, which sometimes leads me to go back and change 720 dpi to 360 dpi or vice versa.

zPrint.jpg
zPrint.jpg (131.54 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Robert Schleif

Post by Robert Schleif »

Lilke Charles2 said, the contents and appearances of the windows that appear in the process of printing an image changed a few months ago. The first window that appears for me differs that what Charles2 sees. In mine, I can choose the printer, and then I must choose "more settings" to get to a printer-specific window where paper and resolution are chosen, and following this comes a PWP window allows setting the margins and which displays how the image fits on the paper.