CM On Profile Mismatch setting

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

CM On Profile Mismatch setting

Post by davidh »

I am not sure if I got it right but on reopening a saved workspace I am repeatedy asked to confirm a profile conversion from Nikon Adobe RGB to working space profile Adobe RGB even though my CM setting is Convert.

By the way, the embedded profile of my images is mostly Nikon Adobe RGB as they come from my Nikon camera. Since I upgraded and reinstalled my PC, I no longer find this profile in the profile list. That is why I set the RGB Assumed File Profile and RGB Assumed camera Profile just to Adobe RGB.
I do not know where the Nikon Adobe RGB profile came from in the previous OS installation but it was there. Probably with some Nikon software but not with Nikon Capture NX-D which I have freshly installed only recently. Google search was not much of a success either. I guess they are identical but to avoid the unnecessary conversion getting it back would help.
Any idea, anybody?
Attachments
Profile Mismatch.png
Profile Mismatch.png (23.48 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
jsachs

Re: CM On Profile Mismatch setting

Post by jsachs »

Nikon probably just embeds the profile in the image file. You can use the File/Save Profile As... command to extract a copy of it.

There are numerous versions of Adobe RGB and PWP does not treat them as the same.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

PWP reads the profile name as "Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3001" but when the profile is extracted and saved (to "c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\") it appears just like as another "Adobe RGB (1998)". Looking inside with Notepad shows why: ...desc... ....Adobe RGB (1998)...
There are two ways of getting names. While the profile name is read from the exif file, the profile list is populated with the names hidden in descriptions of profile files themselves. Now I understand the difference.

Just for fun I renamed the desc ...Adobe RGB (1998)... to .... Nikon Adobe RGB (1998).... inside the profile file to see what happens. What happened was that the duplicity disappeared but nothing was added. When I renamed it back, the duplicity did not reappear. The whole profile file was invalidated. A whole lot of fun:).

This brings me back to the first part of my original post where I suggested that the Color Mangement setting On Mismatch set to Convert seems to be ignored.
If the setting On Profile Mismatch is set to Convert I would expect the conversion to happen automatically. But whenever I open a saved workspace I am asked to confirm the profile conversion.
Attachments
Nikon Adobe RGB.png
Nikon Adobe RGB.png (17.41 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The profile description embedded in the profile appears in two versions - one is ASCII and the other is Unicode so editing it by hand is tricky.

If you can downsize one of the (unconverted) images with the Nikon Adobe RGB profile and email it to me, I should be able to add code to treat it as a match for Adobe RGB and also check out the problem with always asking about the conversion.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

After some more investigation I found that the exif of the raw .NEF image shows the Adobe RGB profile. Only after conversion in Capture NX-D does it change to Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3001. When I checked the settings there (sorry I did not do it before, but it was a fresh PC reinstallation) I found that it was left to the default, which evidently means the camera profile.

After I changed the Default RGB color space to Adobe RGB to do the conversion, or possibly just the profile re-labelling, by Capture NX-D , the problem with conversion disappeared, which makes it solved for me.
However this does not solve the root cause of this issue which might not be connected just to the Capture NX-D.

Jonathan, if you still need it, I will email a sample image to you.

One more observation regarding the Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3001 issue:
When the CM setting On Profile Mismatch is set to Don't Convert, there is no unnecessary asking for confirmation no to do the conversion.
Attachments
Capture ND-X conversion.png
Capture ND-X conversion.png (30.02 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Please email me a copy of the Nikon profile when you get a chance.

The latest release should fix the problem of asking to convert when you specify convert without asking.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

I have sent the email.
Thanks for the fix.