PWP is unresponsive on starting.

Moderator: jsachs

AndyWilkes

PWP is unresponsive on starting.

Post by AndyWilkes »

Running the new release version of PWP has it load the opening screen then the menus are greyed out and no buttons respond. It has to be closed by the task manager. I uninstalled the previous version and then deleted all the created folders and restarted before reinstalling.
The PC is a HP Z230 Zeon with 16GB RAM Win 10 Pro 64 bit.
It is using a Nvidia Quadro K620.
Thanks
jsachs

Re: PWP is unresponsive on starting.

Post by jsachs »

The first thing to try is to download the program again in case it did not download correctly the last time. The Picture Window Pro.msi file should be 151,324,160 bytes.

FYI, it is generally unnecessary to uninstall the previous version or delete any folders before installing if you are installing a newer version.

If you are still having problems, I have uploaded a version of PWP that displays messages on startup which can help pinpoint issues. It is a replacement for PWP 8.0.exe which is installed in the folder where PWP is installed (usually C:\Program Files\Digital Light & Color\Picture Window Pro 8). To be able to revert to this version later, make a copy of it or rename it or drag it to some other folder.

To install the version with debugging messages, first download this zip file: https://www.dl-c.com/Documents/Picture ... Debug.zip

Next, go to your Downloads folder and double click on Picture Window Pro 8 Debug.zip to open it. Finally, drag PWP 8.0.exe to the Picture Window install folder, replacing the previous version.

When the debug version of PWP starts up, it displays a series of messages indicating its progress in the startup process. Let me know the last one it gets to as this will help localize where it is getting stuck. If necessary, I can localize it further with another debug version.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
AndyWilkes

Post by AndyWilkes »

This is strange.
I have just now rt clicked on a TIFF and the menu offered PWP as an option so I took it. A JPG behaved the same.
The program has opened normally.
It opened OK from the main Windows menu too with no image selected.
The freezing problem is not happening, but I did nothing to fix it as far as I can tell. The only difference from earlier is that I have had to lent my wired mouse to my son and then found a wireless mouse to use.

If any starting problem happens again I will try the debug version and report the result.
AndyWilkes

Post by AndyWilkes »

This is strange.
I have just now rt clicked on a TIFF and the menu offered PWP as an option so I took it. A JPG behaved the same.
The program has opened normally.
It opened OK from the main Windows menu too with no image selected.
The freezing problem is not happening, but I did nothing to fix it as far as I can tell. The only difference from earlier is that I have had to lent my wired mouse to my son and then found a wireless mouse to use.

If any starting problem happens again I will try the debug version and report the result.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

That is strange -- but do let me know if it happens again.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color