Update Available - Version 8.0.46

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Update Available - Version 8.0.46

Post by jsachs »

An update is available to Version 8.0.45 (14-Feb-2020)

I have tested this new version extensively, but since there are so many special cases involved in rearranging the image tree, it is possible that I have missed some. New bitmaps will require a full install.

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

New tool bars added to image browser to facilitate selection of multiple images and then closing or copying the selected images. The dependency highlighting button in the image browser was removed – dependency highlighting is permanently turned on. The button was replaced with a down arrow to show or hide the two new tool bars.

Removed several now redundant commands from the Edit menu and from the context menu (right click on a thumbnail) related to rearranging the image tree. Removed Set as Destination, Copy to Destination, Move to Destination and Reset Destination, as well as some commands to clone branches.

Changed the meaning of Shift-, Ctrl-, and Ctrl Shift-clicking on thumbnails. Now these are used to select multiple images.

Closing images no longer requires also closing all images that depend of them. It now partially resets any transformations that used the closed image as an auxiliary input or mask.

The workspace is now autosaved (if autosave is turned on) before a close or copy to allow recovery from accidental operations.

See the updated help file (Image Browser section) and tutorial PDF file for details.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Re: Update Available - Version 8.0.46

Post by tomczak »

A bit early, but already have a question: I can't figure out the difference between the yellow 'Select/Deselect the branch below the current image' and the green 'select all the images downstream from the current image'. No matter what I try, they seem to work the same, except for the toggling ability of the yellow one.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Say you have a Layout transformation that inputs another image into one of its panels. The Layout is downstream from the imported image but not below it on the current branch. In other words, downstream incorporates dependencies based on auxiliary inputs and/or masks. You get a mask dependency if you base a mask on some other black and white image by selecting it from the drop-down menu in an Amount control.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Got it, thanks.

Three more questions and I'm sure there are technical reason for having it the way it is:

1) Select upstream/downstream buttons - could they be toggled just like Select branch below button?
2) Is there a reason for having two separate buttons Select/Deselect all, as opposed to a single toggle? I kind of get it: if there are a few images selected it may be important to differenciate between deselecting those few, or selecting the rest of them. But that would take two clicks on the toggle to do either one, or is there something I'm not thinking of?
3) Selected images can be copied and then deleted easily enough, could they also be moved or is this a safety feature?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

1) Originally, I did not think this would work, but on further consideration it should be possible to deselect as well as select

2) I started with one button, but it is useful to be able to clear all the selected images in one click

3) There are special cases for Close and Copy that are different, so this would not always work.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

2) I started with one button, but it is useful to be able to clear all the selected images in one click

I realize I'm annoying, and it works well as it is, and the reason I'm pursuing it is purely personal and has to do with my old age and the unfortunate fact that so far, despite hours of arduous training I still can't memorize which one is white and which one is yellow - and I apologize as this is pretty obvious when you think about it - anything yellow is on, just like the other select buttons, not off...

What if this imaginary one button always functioned as 'clear all' on the first click, regardless of whether anything is already selected or not, and then 'select all' on the second click... :-)
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the next release I went back to one button. If any images are selected it deselects everything, otherwise it selects everything.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Version 8.0.49.

Just wanted to make sure I understand about closing images no longer requires also closing images that depend on them.

I opened three images, one of which is a mask. Using the mask, I composited part of image 2 into image 1 (giving me image 4).

Leaving image 4 open, I then clicked to close image 2, which gave me a dialogue asking if I wished to close this image. I have tried this multiple times and every time I click "Yes", PWP crashes.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I have been able to reproduce this problem and have fixed it for Composite. A similar problem exists with a few other transformations which I will also fix in the next release shortly.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color