RAW woes

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Re: RAW woes

Post by jsachs »

I usually sharpen in PWP although there is no harm is doing some light sharpening in the raw converter.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tonygamble

Post by tonygamble »

J.
Do you use Bilateral on the default setting?
T
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I have my bilateral sharpen defaults set as follows:
bilateral sharpen settings.jpg
bilateral sharpen settings.jpg (125.77 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
The contents of the Default.bilateral sharpen file is:

bilateral_sharpen 0 amount 1 -1 0 0 ″Amount: ″ ″Mask″ npasses 2 display 1 sync_scroll 1 pass1 1 80 9 0 2 0.1 0.1 pass2 1 5 100 20 1.5 0.1 0.1

This does some large scale local contrast enhancement in the first (radius 80) pass which is good a bringing out cloud and other coarse detail. The second pass (radius 5) is a straight sharpening pass to bring out fine detail. To get two passes you need to use the Settings menu and select 2-Pass Sharpening.

This combination tends to over-sharpen a little so, depending on the image, I may dial back or eliminate one or both passes.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tonygamble

Post by tonygamble »

Thanks J,

That is with v8 and, as you know, I have yet to upgrade.

I need to now you are out of beta. I'll do the swop when I get back after Christmas.

You warned me there was a bit of a learning curve - but I'll need a challenge or to for 2020.

T
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Yes, it is out of beta.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

jsachs wrote: December 19th, 2019, 8:24 am I usually sharpen in PWP although there is no harm is doing some light sharpening in the raw converter.
Because I have been very interested in learning what functions in so-called raw processors actually work with original raw data and had difficulty finding a source of this information that I felt was reliable, I jumped at the opportunity last year to have a conversation about this with a person who identified himself as a member of the RawTherapee development team. (That's not the raw software I use.) He told me that, for example, the sharpening algorithms in that software do not work with original raw data. Instead they are manipulating the RGB output of the conversion process. He said that data would be identical to the data that could be saved in a 16-bit tiff at that point.

He said that if there are differences in sharpening result between sharpening within RawTherapee or using the 16-bit tiff in other software, the differences would be solely due to differences in the algorithms and not because they were working with different data. I have yet to learn if other raw software uses raw data in the sharpening process or are also manipulating the RGB output of the conversion process.
croos

Post by croos »

Hmm. Has this changed? I don't have the Pass 1 and Pass 2 tabs and button 2 and 3 are greyed out and can't be depressed. I just downloaded the latest update.
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Post by Winfried »

Did you enable 2 or 3 Pass Sharpening with the setting menue (litte stearing wheel) ?
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
croos

Post by croos »

Duh. My only excuse is I've just started to look at v. 8. Everything is so different from what we are used to.

Thanks, Winfried. :-)
priort

Post by priort »

Is it not simply because no base curve is applied as is the case elsewhere when raw conversions are made....likely a simple tone curve will set you strait but given the complex nature of the proprietary jpg formulations from each manufacturer you will not easily be able to reproduce it....if ever...I find it almost impossible to reproduce the detail and sharpness of a jpg from a raw edit....the tones and colors are often better but its hard I find to nail the detail to the same level of the jpg without a lot of work if at all