Confused on blending modes...

Moderator: jsachs

priort

Confused on blending modes...

Post by priort »

I was trying to determine how to do an "overlay" blend mode and perhaps multiply...Terminology in Picture Window is a bit different...reading the documentation it sound like the filter transform is like multiply but I was not able to sort out a way to do an overlay ie dark darker light lighter and middle gray no change....just wondering...likely I am just missing something in trying to distinguish between the blend, filter and compose transforms...
jsachs

Re: Confused on blending modes...

Post by jsachs »

The Photoshop Overlay blend mode is called Reverse Hard Light in PWP's Blend transformation since it is the same thing as Hard Light with the images switched.

Multiply is called Filter

Screen is called Subtractive Filter

The Filter transformation is pretty much subsumed within Blend.
Composite is for when you need to scale or reposition an overlay image on a base image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Isn't "dark darker, light lighter, mid no change" similar to Soft Light. Although Soft Light punches up the saturation a bit.
priort

Post by priort »

Jonathan thanks for the clarification....one reason why I was asking is I was trying to perform the equivalent operation to obtaining the average colour of the entire image and then using the inverse colour applied with either overlay or softlight to see how that compared with a few methods that you have built in for color casts....this is what I was trying to replicate or something like it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZIGDx4Bg-k