RAW conversion

Moderator: jsachs

count

RAW conversion

Post by count »

To whom may kindly answer a technical question.

Please, I’m an old purchaser of PWP 5, and I have now upgraded it to the last 2 free versions. I would like to know if there is any way for applying to a RAW file a GAMMA function which respects the original RGB exposure ratios in each pixel, i.e., a GAMMA function that applies to the (virtual) V channel of HSV space in RAW file, instead of applying to its R, G, and B channels separately (or to their average or whatever way it makes it in programs of my knowledge), and converts the RAW file according to this criterion. If PWP can’t do that, or if it can only make that on a yet converted TIFF file, do you know where could I find an application that performs this task?

Thank you for your attention,
A. Ganis
jsachs

Re: RAW conversion

Post by jsachs »

PWP 7 can open raw files, but PWP 8 cannot, so if you are talking about gamma correction during raw conversion, only PWP 7 would be possible, but I believe the gamma slider in PWP 7's raw conversion dialog box applies the gamma correction to each channel individually.

The Gamma Adjust transformation in PWP 8 can be set to HSV V mode which will do what you are asking for, but you would need to perform the raw conversion externally, save it as TIFF, and open the TIFF file.

Bear in mind that every raw converter that I know of, in addition to doing gamma correction (since the captured images are linear, i.e. gamma 1.0), applies an S-shaped curve to the images to make them look natural.

I am not aware of any other raw converter that lets you apply gamma correction the way you want.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
priort

Post by priort »

Would Adobe's DNG converter be of any benefit over the TIFF....maybe it alters your RAW somewhat...not really sure but PW 8 will load the DNG files..https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/deta ... ftpID=6789
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I don't think this solves the problem since the DNG is converted when it is opened and there is no chance to change the way it is converted.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

If you purchase Raw Digger Research Edition ($39.95), you should be able to open and then save an unprocessed raw file as a TIFF. They you could use PWP 8 to adjust the gamma. I tried this, but had to remove a strong color cast first.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Re: RAW conversion -- look into dcraw

Post by Charles2 »

You might look into dcraw, the command-line demosaic program that is at the core of most raw developer software and firmware, even from camera vendors. Among the parameters you can set, gamma is probably one of them.

Dave Coffin produced and maintained the program for free for many years. I think he finally stopped creating a version for new cameras, so check whether you can use it on the raw files from your camera.
bulrichl

Post by bulrichl »

Yes, dcraw does not seem to be further deloped. However, there is a potential successor: LibRaw, https://www.libraw.org/ .

There is special image processing software for Astrophotography that uses LibRaw, e.g. PixInsight.

Bernd
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Raw Digger is from the LibRaw developers.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
count

Post by count »

Thank you all for your answers. I have a particular idea about this item, and I would like to discuss it with a software developer who knows precisely what do common applications do, so that I might know wheather or not it matches my idea.
Andrea
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I recommend trying to contact the developers of LibRaw.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color