For future consideration

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

For future consideration

Post by davidh »

I created a branch that contains Crop transformation followed further on by Clone.
I did quite a lot One To One and Linked cloning, undoing, redoing and additional cloning.
Later I found that the composition was not OK, so I went back to Crop and edited the cropping rectangle. As I expected, I got the warning message about an existing dependency and possibility of unexpected results.

After I changed the image diameters, I reopened the Clone transformation, but due to the extensive cloning it took several minutes for all the cloning data to load and the dialog to open.

Could I suggest that an option to reset all the cloning be added to the window warning about unexpected results whenever a transformation that changes image size precedes a transformation like Clone?

In my opinion the changes to the image size invalidate most if not all of the cloning or similar transformations already done downstream. The option would give the user chance to reset them without having to wait untill they load with particular dialogs just to reset them from there.

If someone instead chooses to undo those unexpected results, which almost certainly arise after the size of the image is changed, and replaces them with new strokes that allow for the new image diameters, they only add to the already big load of strokes, as undoing is always recorded to make it possible to redo it later.
jsachs

Re: For future consideration

Post by jsachs »

I have addressed this issue for the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thanks a lot on behalf of those who are rarely satified with the initial composition like me.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

This is a good reason to crop after cloning instead of before.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

This is definitely true and a logical choice if you do not mind (your HW makes it possible) to run large images through various transformations just to later discard most of the processed image pixels by cropping. And since I often resize the crops, I would have to work with even much larger initial images.
And sometimes it happens that the last Sunday's right composition does not seem that right the next Sunday.