EXIF stripping in workflow

Moderator: jsachs

MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

EXIF stripping in workflow

Post by MikeG »

Anyone know of a way to strip EXIF metadata in a workflow?

Mike.
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: EXIF stripping in workflow

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Mike

The only way i know of in the moment ist to save in a file type that does not support EXIF data like PNG and the save again as JPEG.
It would be nice to have the ability to strip the EXIF data in the Save widget.
Dieter Mayr
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Post by HanSch »

As a workaround you can download EXIF Tool and EXIF Tool GUI (both freeware) and remove the EXIF-data from a batch of files: http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/e ... oolgui.htm
Windows only as far as I know.
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Thank you Dieter, and HanSch,

In the absence of a convenient way of stripping EXIF in a PWP one pass workflow, I'm using BDSizer freeware from here:
http://www.idimager.com/?page=freeware
whenever I want to batch resize images to a small file size and maintain as much image quality as possible, such as transferring images to a mobile phone, or posting on PWP message board! BDSizer strips EXIF by default, but you can choose to keep it.

Incidentally some kind soul in this forum posted the link to BDSizer some months back.

Mike.
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

FastStone is another option, but with less control of what's being removed than ExifTool+GUI. It would be nice if remove metadata and colour profile JPG save options rubbed off on the widget, but I think that as it is at the moment there is a way of batch stripping in PWP already - the latest stripping options from the save dialog are retained in the widget. In other words, if you save a single JPG using the Save As dialog and select stripping metadata, then use the save widget to save a batch of JPGs, the JPGs will have the exif stripped. Please check it.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Maciej,

Very subtle! But I couldn't get it to work me. Please check that I did what you had in mind:

1. Opened browser.
2. Right clicked on jpeg file to check for existence of EXIF metadata in properties. Confirmed present.
3. Opened file and Saved As with both Profile and Include Comments unchecked - they turned red.
4. Started a new workflow. Loaded crop widget and save widget, and two new jpeg files.
5. Set crop widget settings. Set save widget settings - new destination folder. jpeg 90%, size unchanged.
6. Ran workflow. Saved workflow.
7. Opened file saved in step 3 with Photome which announced no metadata.
8. Opened file saved in 6 with Photome - full EXIF metadata.

Tried again, slight variation of above.
9. Opened new jpeg file and Saved As with both Profile and Include Comments unchecked - still red.
10. Opened workflow saved in step 6. Loaded two new jpeg files.
11. Ran workflow. Closed workflow.
12. Opened file saved in step 9 with Photome which announced no metadata.
13. Opened file saved in 11 with Photome - full EXIF metadata.

BTW I'm running PWP 5.0.1.5, Vista Home Premium 32 with latest updates.
And I remembered to load a file and Save As with Profile and Include Comments checked to reset Save As!
Mike.
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

Mike, try Save As with no Comments/Profile, then close PWP, start it up again and use Save widget.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

In my tests, the Save File widget does not strip comments or profiles, even if the last save in the foreground process was set for stripping.

Of course, if it did, I would consider it to be a bug. The intention is that the workflow should not depend on transient settings in the foreground process. I do understand that people would like to be able to strip comments and profiles via the workflow and will add the feature in one of the coming upgrades.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Kiril,

Thanks for the info.

Mike.
mjdl
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nokia N8-00

Post by mjdl »

People not adverse to the minimalist DOS command-line in Windows may wish to try PureJPEG, which, according to its web page http://www.yafla.com/papers/purejpeg/fi ... s_exif.htm
PureJPEG is an easy to use, high performance utility to remove unnecessary data from images you email or post on the net, without affecting the image quality whatsoever (no decompression/recompression is performed in the filtration), removing such extraneous information as:

* Digital camera technical data (EXIF)
* Comment blocks
* JPEG thumbnails
* Application blocks
You can create a batch file such as

Code: Select all

purejpeg %1 %1_stripped
, and put a shortcut to it in the "Send To" folder, to use it from Windows Explorer, I suppose.