Remove shine from photo of oil painting

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Remove shine from photo of oil painting

Post by den »

Hi Tony... It has been awhile...

This image does not easily lend itself for a Color Range Mask Overlap because it is essentially monochrome. Instead try using a Brightness Curve step curve of an appropriate HSV-V tone range to mask corner highlights for the Overlap... ...maybe doing each corner separately so that changes can be more specific as needed.

...illustrated is the Upper Right Corner:
Overlap.jpg
Overlap.jpg (188.86 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
...den...
tonygamble

Post by tonygamble »

Thanks Den,

Took me a while to work out how to get that shape but, once I did, it worked fine.

Look after yourself.

Bye

Tony
tonygamble

Post by tonygamble »

Den,

Now I have mastered the flat topped mask could you explain the logic behind finding the correct position and size of the top, please?

Thanks again.

Tony
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

You use the Mask Tool's Brightness Curve Probe to approximate the left and right vertical control points in much the same manner as you would use the Color Range shift-left click and drag to separate its white sliders... ...I prefer having the histogram available in this case because its dip separates the mat from the image, so I know that the needed tone range will be to the left of the dip... ...as far as the width [tone range} between verticals, use multiple lower-left Apply Overlap's and Undo's until the mask is sparse enough so as not to completely remove the corner image area's texture...

You could use Color Range in the HSV color space in this case as the Highlights you are trying to isolate are not spectral but I prefer a histogram view to help determine the mask... ..even so, you may still have to adjust the white sliders manually with multiple Apply's and Undo's so as to not completely mask the image's texture.

A Color Range illustration...
Overlap_HSV_ColorRange.jpg
Overlap_HSV_ColorRange.jpg (207.01 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
...den...
tonygamble

Post by tonygamble »

Thanks Den,

Much appreciated.

I'll try both techniques.

Tony