Norton Internet Security

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

frankpix
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E3
Location: Bowie, MD, near Washington DC, Baltimore and Annapolis

Norton Internet Security

Post by frankpix »

Jonathan - NIS hasn't allowed me to run any of your PWP8 alpha updates. It deletes the executable file before I can use it. Right now I'm still running the original 3 April alpha but I haven't been able to see any of the changes you've made since then.

I have no problem downloading the zip file containing PWP 8.0.exe but as soon as I extract the executable Norton scans it and deletes it, with the following message: "PWP 8.0.exe is not safe and has been removed."

I've tried downloading the full installer but that doesn't help - Norton still blocks PWP8.exe.

Do you have any idea what's going on?
davidh

Re: Norton Internet Security

Post by davidh »

I have the same problem with Avast. I disable it before starting PWP8 and enable it once PWP runs :).
AVG on another PC did the same saying that it send something "suspicious" to their labs. Next day it declared the executable is safe. However with Avast no change. Adding the executable to exceptions has not helped.
davidh

Post by davidh »

I just checked the situation with Avast and, yes, the exception for PWP 8.0.exe did help, with some delay.
There will be exceptions in NIS, I guess.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

This kind of problem occurs periodically -- I now just use the standard Windows Defender and Windows Firewall that come free with Windows and have never had a virus problem or trouble installing legitimate software. Norton especially has a reputation for slowing down your computer over time and generating false positives. I have had similar problems with Avast and gave up on that too after trying it for a while. If PWP installed once without objection from Norton, maybe uninstalling the old version before installing the new version might work?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
frankpix
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E3
Location: Bowie, MD, near Washington DC, Baltimore and Annapolis

Post by frankpix »

I think I cracked the code - I bypassed Norton Internet Security and successfully installed the latest PWP8 update.

You have to turn off an NIS capability called "Download Intelligence." Here's how to do that: Open NIS. Underneath "Settings" click on "Firewall" and then the "Intrusion and Browser Protection" tab; "Download Intelligence" is near the bottom of the list - move its slider to the off position. I turned it off permanently but will experiment with turning it back on now that the new PWP8 executable is tucked away in Program Files.

Other security programs may have an analogous capability, or maybe you'll be able to modify their firewall exceptions to allow PWP8. I was really fortunate to stumble on this procedure in a document on the Norton site.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Thanks for posting the work-around.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color