Some preliminary information on PWP 8.0

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Some preliminary information on PWP 8.0

Post by jsachs »

To give you a sense of where PWP 8.0 is going, I have uploaded a few of its preliminary help files which are now in PDF format (see links below). Specifics are subject to change as it evolves. I have more help files that describe the various transformations but most of those have not changed in any significant way. Apologies in advance for any typos.

http://www.dl-c.com/PWP8/Image%20Browser.pdf -- describes the central new feature of PWP 8.0
http://www.dl-c.com/PWP8/Script.pdf -- describes new scripting features

http://www.dl-c.com/PWP8/Standard%20Controls.pdf -- describes controls at the top of every transformation dialog box - settings are now handled in a uniform way.

http://www.dl-c.com/PWP8/Bilateral%20Sharpen.pdf -- describes new bilateral sharpen transformation allowing for up to 3 passes
http://www.dl-c.com/PWP8/Layout.pdf -- describes new layout transformation that folds the properties dialog box into the main dialog box

I am mainly working on masks and retouching right now which are the last two big pieces of work left. There is also a lot of testing, documentation and cleanup left after that. Nothing has been done yet about using NVIDIA hardware to speed up performance as that can be added incrementally over time once the basic code is working. I am definitely expecting to have an alpha version ready for limited testing before the end of the calendar year.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Jonathan Sachs
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Re: Some preliminary information on PWP 8.0

Post by MarkT »

Sounds interesting. So, if I'm understanding the new Image Browser, the image branches will replace the series of open image windows in PWP7 and earlier? Does that mean only one main image window will be open, and if I click on an image in the branch, it will replace the previously open window? Can branches be saved, and re-opened later to continue an editing session?
Looking forward to seeing how this all progresses.
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

So looking forward to seeing the new product.

The tree/branch aspect is of great interest (as well as the Layout Transform as I use that a lot).

I have broached this topic before, so will ask - Has there been any consideration given (either now or for in the future) to tablet compatibility? I currently use a tablet and pen quite a bit with version 7 but that use is very basic stuff.

Regards,

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Mark

Yes, there is one main window visible at a time although I am playing with split screen for the image area. If you look at the scripting PDF it explains about saving the tree. The tree serves several functions -- it keeps track of all the operations you performed to create a final image. If you save a workspace script on exit (which you are prompted to do), then you can pick up where you left off and modify any stage of the workflow. This effectively documents your processing and means you don't have to remember what you did if you need to make some changes later. And it provides a degree of non-destructive editing a little like Lightroom.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Marv

I periodically look at tablet support in Windows -- right now it's pretty low on the list until I can get the program working again.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Jonathan,

Congratulations, from what i have seen so far in the PDFs it looks like a great product again.
I have to read the papers in more detail, im a bit short of free time now.
Im looking forward to play with the new features :)
Dieter Mayr
Bob Walker
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon R5

Post by Bob Walker »

Jonathan,

Looks great, I like the organization -- seems more flexible, but still familiar.

Will there be a capability to have transformations that accept two inputs (like composite, or sharpen using a mask generated by another branch, for example)?

Bob W
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Yes, transformations can have multiple inputs as well as masks.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

This is exciting.

Two minor items from PWP 7:
1. When I crop, I almost always use the Golden Rule guide lines. However, I cannot get the transformation to remember this choice as part of the saved default.
2. Selective Color Correction is one of the most precious tools in PWP. Does it make sense to document that it works in HSV (true?), and to offer a choice of HSV or HSL?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Currently, in PWP 8 the grid is not part of the crop transformation but is a separate feature that applies to any image window, as it is potentially useful for purposes other than cropping. This means the grid would not be saved as one of the transformation settings. Will think about how to associate the grid with crop.

Will look at adding HSL mode to Selective Color Correction's brightness adjustment. Offhand, it may not be so easy to add as the color wheel is itself intrinsically HSV with V = 100%. In HSL you have gray in the center instead of white.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color