A question about the Composite

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

A question about the Composite

Post by davidh »

Since the message board goes on running, can anybody explain what happens in the attached images?

1.When the image of the texture is used as the Overlay, the mask works as expected.
2.When the texture is used as the Imput image, the output image is a kind of blend of the two even though the white part of the mask is switched off.

I have used all possible combinations with mask on the input, output or both, swapped black and white, but the result was always the same: the texture has to be used as overlay for the mask to work as expected.
It is not limited to the Hard Light operation.

I know that with some operations the order of the imput and overlay is important, but I have never before noticed that also the mask behaves differently.

David
Attachments
Composite2.JPG
Composite2.JPG (72.65 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
Composite1.JPG
Composite1.JPG (61.19 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
jsachs

Re: A question about the Composite

Post by jsachs »

In both cases, you have composite base image mask set to overlay only the central rectangle of the base image. The part of the base image outside the central rectangle remains intact in the result image. This is consistent with the results in the two examples. To get the same result in the second example, I believe you would have to invert the base image mask by reversing the black and white slider positions.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Re: A question about the Composite

Post by davidh »

Only this morning did I realize that I misunderstood the value of 0% of white mask in the upper middle image of the attachment and got somehow entangled into combining settings until total confusion. I used the rectangle only for the post for simplification. The overlay image was originaly another texture so it was already quite confusing.

So as a penance for my yeasterdays hasty post I have attached results of four combination settings. It does not matter if the mask is inverted or used on the input or overlay image.
Someone might find is useful and avoid similar puzzlement.

As Freddie would have put it: The board must go ooon. :)
David
Attachments
Composite.jpg
Composite.jpg (119.23 KiB) Viewed 2360 times