Long Exposure

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Long Exposure

Post by Marpel »

Read a post on another site forum, between asking my other questions and coming back to respond to one of them, so thought I would ask this question as well while I was still logged in.

One of the posters made a comment in a thread about long exposures, suggesting a different way to do a twenty-second (or more I guess) exposure was to take 20 one second exposures, average them, and you have one twenty-second exposure.

I've never heard this before and wonder what he means by "average" and if this can be accomplished in PWP (I'm presuming he is meaning to use Photoshop, or similar, to average, rather than something done in-camera). I would have asked the poster about this, but am not a member of that message board and did not wish to sign on.

Anyone know of this process?

Regards,

Marv
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Re: Long Exposure

Post by Winfried »

For this purpose you might use the "HDR/Stack Images" transaction. Since PWP version 7.0.18 there are some new blend options.
For instance, I took about 12 photos with the intervall timer of my camera from a busy German Autobahn (tripod on a bridge over the autobahn).
I combined these photos withe the HDR/Stack imanges transaction with the Blend option "Median" and the all cars are gone. The autobahn seemes to be empty.
So this can be used to simulate the use of a strong neutral gray filter and long expose to get get rid of the people in from of buildings in public places.
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For details, this technique is covered in the Stack Images white paper.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Winfried and Jonathan,

Thanks for the suggestion to use Stack Images. I will have to study this tool over the next while.

Marv