alain
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: A850

workflow problem

Post by alain »

Hi

Normally I have my color management settings on :

working color space : Kodak prophoto RGB
ask only on a mismatch

When I run a workflow that needs to convert srgb tif files to srgb jpeg files, all are automaticaly converted to Kodak prophoto RGB.

I can avoid that with changing the color management settings, but that's grrrr.. and very error prone.

BTW. My ideal setting would be : ask only when no color profile is embedded, otherwise don't convert.
ksinkel

Re: workflow problem

Post by ksinkel »

The workflow process inherits the same color management settings that you have set for your main application. (If you update settings during a session, the settings are not propagated to open workflows.) So check these settings to make sure they are consistent with the behavior you want.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
alain

Post by alain »

ksinkel wrote:The workflow process inherits the same color management settings that you have set for your main application. (If you update settings during a session, the settings are not propagated to open workflows.) So check these settings to make sure they are consistent with the behavior you want.

Kiril
Unfortunately it doesn't ask if I want to convert, but converts the images automatically. Although asking for 100+ images isn't nice also.
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Right -- all message dialogs are disabled in workflows for obvious reasons. If you want control over color profile, you can add the profile widget to your workflow. The widget can also have a breakpoint set if you need manual control.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
alain

Post by alain »

ksinkel wrote:Right -- all message dialogs are disabled in workflows for obvious reasons. If you want control over color profile, you can add the profile widget to your workflow. The widget can also have a breakpoint set if you need manual control.

Kiril
Kiril

If the profile widget is inside the workflow, I suppose there still first a conversion when the workflow is started?
Or in other words : I then get a double conversion? (not a problem in 16-bit, but not nice in 8-bit).

Alain
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Alain,

The only thing I can think of that might help is this: Color Management and Preference setttings are user-specific. If you ran PWP from another user account you should be able to make different settings. I haven't tried this, so I don't know if you will encounter some problem I can't foresee.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Kiril,

Maybe it would be a idea to introduce a command line parameter to set the color management settings?
The settings can be saved already, so one would have to give just that filename (and maybe a designator) as parameter.
One could have link-files for several settings on the desktop, would be practical for several reasons.
Dieter Mayr
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

An equivalent command-line technique is possible with the current version of PWP.

Since color management settings are stored in the registry, it would be possible to create several alternate settings .reg files which save different settings. The general procedure would be to create a set of settings in PWP. Close PWP. Create a .reg file over the range of settings. One would then run the .reg file prior to opening PWP.

Microsoft's procedure for creating a .reg file can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... s.10).aspx

The relevant section of the registry is HK_CURRENT_USER\Software\Digital Light and Color\Picture Window\Color Settings.

Please note that I don't necessarily recommend this procedure -- errors in fooling with registry settings can lead to all kinds of subtle problems. Furthermore it adds a level of ambiguity to your operation of PWP because you will need to remember which of several settings are in effect at any given time. So caveat emptor.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
alain

Post by alain »

Thanks for the suggestion, but changing the registry seems a last resort here.

For me an extra option with "on profile match" that only "kicks in" when there's no profile embedded inside the picture would solve "my problems". I need to check for that because I from time to time get a image without a profile and those are not always sRGB.

A command line option to start a workflow for a directory would be nice also.

Alain
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

The link that Kiril posted was cut off at the ).aspx
I have have put it in url tags, hope it works better:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... s.10).aspx
Dieter Mayr