Mouse Wheel

This forum is closed to new entries. Please use the Picture Window Support forum instead.

Moderators: ksinkel, jsachs

tomc001

Mouse Wheel

Post by tomc001 »

I spend a lot of time restoring old photos using the clone tool at 1:1. Previously I would use the mouse wheel to move up and down in a vertical slice of the 1:1 view.

But now the mouse wheel adjusts the size of the clone tool.

How about an option to get the scrolling operation back? The mouse wheel still scrolls when just looking at a portion of the image, but once the clone tool is selected the mouse wheel changes to the resize mode.

Tom
JimK
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon F5

Re: Mouse Wheel

Post by JimK »

I heartily endorse more mouse wheel options, too! But, I know that the feature list is locked in for this update. Maybe next time.
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Something you might try as a 1:1 cloning alternate...

Use Composite-Blend with an 'active' Mask Tool-Paint Brush and an updating Preview "Zoom to 1:1" [Auto Preview box checked] where the Input image is the image to be cloned into and the Overlay image is to be cloned from...

The Input Amount mask is the 'active' Mask being applied by its Paint Brush tool to the Input image with the white slider amount 100% and black amount 0%...

Left-shift click on the Input Amount Mask button to 'blink' Preview between the modified and un-modified Input image.

The Overlay image Amount is 100%...

The mouse wheel will adjust the Paint Brush radius and the keyboard 'arrows' can be used to scroll the 1:1 Preview...

Interestingly, some of the other Mask Tool features can be utilitzed to better blend the 1:1 cloning then sometimes with just the Clone Tool alone.

Of course you are limited to Input and Overlay images that 1:1 resgister with each other and a single Mask Tool Undo.

...den...

If requested, I can illustrate this...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

You can get mouse wheel scrolling back by clicking on the scroll button in the tool bar. When the button is up, the mouse wheel scrolls - when the button is down it adjusts to clone brush size.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Well, I just tried this with clone and paint transformations:
and I'm finding some odd conditions:

- open an image to 1:1
- start transformation (control dialogue window is open on top of image)
- scroll button is not touched, it is in the default "up" position
- rolling the mouse wheel changes the radius of the tool

- click the scroll button to "down" position:
- rolling the mouse wheel still changes tool radius
- click on image window (to bring it to top: dialogue window is behind image)
- now rolling the mouse wheel scrolls image up and down

- Ctrl-T to bring dialogue window to top, and now mouse wheel changes tool radius.

I will try to check this with other transformations later.

Mark
tomc001

Post by tomc001 »

jsachs wrote:You can get mouse wheel scrolling back by clicking on the scroll button in the tool bar. When the button is up, the mouse wheel scrolls - when the button is down it adjusts to clone brush size.
Didn't know there was a scroll button. So I went looking but with no success. I even searched for scroll in the manual with no success.

The hand icon says Scroll Tool but that exits clone mode.

What am I missing?

Tom
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

You need to click to Clone button to toggle cloning, not the Scroll button.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

I have observed the following:

1) With the task bar Scroll Tool button up [Hand icon -- default position], open an image in the workspace and right-click on it and select "Zoom to 1:1". The image should now have top/bottom-left/right frame scoll sliders.

2) Open the Clone tool at default settings, setting a reference point [shift-left click] and a copy point [left click]... ...mouse wheel controls the brush radius...

3) The image can be scrolled using the keyboard 'arrow' keys [up, down, left, right] while the Clone tool is 'active' on the image...

4) Left-click on the Scroll Tool button [Hand icon -- down position] and left-click on the workspace image... ...mouse wheel now controls the scrolling view of the image... ...but... the Clone Tool is no longer 'active' on the image and its reference and copy points are not retained.

5) Left-click on the Clone Tool dialog or its task bar icon [two brushes]... ...the Scroll Tool button resets to the up position; the Clone Tool is 'active' again on the image [if it is the only image in the workspace] with the mouse wheel controlling brush radius... ...re-establish reference and copy points to begin cloning...

From the above observations, it would seem that if one wanted to scroll the image while at the same time as using the Clone Tool and its original reference/copy points... ...use the keyboard arrows...

...this is probably true for any of the other brush tools that have a mouse wheel radius control...

I do not find this an inconvienience... ...from my view point, I appreciate using the mouse wheel for brush radius changes [right hand on mouse] and have transitioned to keyboard 'arrow' keys for scrolling [left hand on keyboard] when needed.

...den...

P.S. Just tried this with two images open in the workspace and 1:1 cloning between the two... ...the "copy to" image will scroll with the keyboard arrows if its frame has top/bottom-left/right scoll sliders while the Clone Tool remains 'active' with its original reference/copy points.