Tool Shape

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Tool Shape

Post by Marpel »

Is there any particular reason why the paint etc tools do not have the option of having a square cursor shape rather than just round? I often do work on masks and images that have manmade objects (as in square corners) and find it cumbersome to have to continually reduce the size of the cursor to get "deep" into a corner.

Marv
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: Tool Shape

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Marv, I think for the purpose you have in mind it would be useful to be able to rotate a possible square brush, not all corners are 100% paralel to the edges of the image.
Did you try to use the rectangle or polygon tool in Masks?
Dieter Mayr
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Dieter,

I agree that not all corners are square to the edges and your suggestion of a rotatable brush would be the best (however, I expect it would be pretty difficult).
Although I use the rectangle and polygon mask tool, my workflow often starts with the "roughing out" of a mask, then using the paint tool (with white and/or black) to get in close and finish things up. It's only when I am in the paint tool and looking at a b and w image that I can really see how clean things are, especially when parts of the mask are various shades of grey.

Marv
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Marv,

I prefer the Brush in the Masking tool too for my workflow, so I perfectly understand you.
But I usually start with the details, making the border of the mask, and the fill it out with a big brush.
Probably the most difficult thing of a rotable brush would be to find a way to make it user friendly rotateable.
Dieter Mayr
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

Marv,

My preferred method it use the paint brush a little casually going over the edges and corners and then to remove the excess with the 'flood fill' tool, or the 'colour range' tool or a smaller soft brush.

Not suitable in every case, I know, but solves the described problem by dealing with the corners from the 'outside'.

Mike.
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Dieter and Mike,

It's interesting to hear how others use different approaches with the same tool(s) and often get the same end result. Causes one to assess his/her methods, which is a good thing of course. Coincidently, just after making the first post, I discovered the "Flood Fill" tool (more by accident than anything) and have been experimenting with it to gauge it's potential.

Having said that, can anyone say why the tool cursor is only round and doesn't have a square option??

Marv