Image Management

Moderator: jsachs

tombriggs

Image Management

Post by tombriggs »

As I understand it, I-Match retains the thumbnail but allows you to store the actual photo off-line on a CD or other device ... with the thumbnail providing informations as to WHICH CD contains the photo you're looking for. That said, is I-Match still the best image managment program on the market or are there comparable or even better systems?
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: Image Management

Post by Dieter Mayr »

The best program, hm, "best" is a big word ...
What car is the best ? if you want to go as fast as possible, maybe a racecar would be the best, but if you need to transport 30 tons of goods you will not be happy with it.
It depends so much on the circumstances what program may be best for you, how many images you need to manage, what search criteria you need etc.
As just being hobbyist with not so many pictures i use a "speakable" file system and PhoA as management program, its the best solution for my needs.
http://www.dk-soft.org/products/phoa/
The pros here will surely give you advice what to use for huge image quantities.
Dieter Mayr
keithrj
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 40D

Post by keithrj »

IMatch has a huge number of features and is extremely configurable via a BASIC like language with full specs on interfaces to the underlying database. With this flexibility and huge function set comes a rather steep learning curve. Having said that, I have used IMatch for many years and have not found anything it cannot do (even if I do sometimes have to resort to programming it).

IMatch is one of the most popular DAM (Digital Asset Management) programs available and is considered the most functional on the market too. It does come down to what you want to do with it. What I find extremely useful is having ALL my photos in the database and being able to search for whatever I want. In order to do this you need to be disciplined to categorise your ALL photos. The category facility is the best available as you do not simply add keywords to your photos but create a tree structure of categories and then assign your photos to any number of the categories you like. This in my opinion is the best and most useful way of managing your photos.
tombriggs

Post by tombriggs »

Thanks, Keith ... altho I haven't started using it, it DOES look like a steep learning curve, as you indicate, and I was hoping for something more user-friendly. BUT ... c'est la vie. If there's nothing out there, then I guess I'll begin the climb up that learning slope.
JvdW
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic Lumix G5

Post by JvdW »

There are other DAM capable programs too, you might consider ACDSee Pro or Zoner Photo Studio wich both have quite usefull database functions. I started with IMatch but switched to ACDSee Pro because it is much easier to use and it comes with a very nice RAW converter. ACDSee does have some quirks, and the integrated editor is very limited, but the database function is quite good and also covers files on backup CD/DVD etc. But ACDSee is not as versatile as IMatch. One major drawback of ACDSee is the use of proprietary metadata wich tends to get lost when images are edited with other software (like PWP). The information can be restored, but it takes two extra actions in the workflow.
keithrj
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 40D

Post by keithrj »

Some other thoughts on IMatch:

1. You don't have to use all the functionality, just use what you need.
2. The documentation is excellent and the support from the developer and forums is top-notch.
3. A new version due shortly.
4. It must be the fastest DAM program I have used.
5. The best method of classifying/cataloging images available.

Download the trial and see how it works for you.