Picture window 5.0 on ubuntu linux

Moderator: jsachs

lt_gustavsen

Re: Picture window 5.0 on ubuntu linux

Post by lt_gustavsen »

Just a little patch to the PW luncher script described here.

The commandline

Code: Select all

PROGRAMFILES=$(wine cmd /c echo "%ProgramFiles%")
should no read

PROGRAMFILES=$(wine cmd /c echo "%ProgramFiles%"|tr -d '\r')
the tr -d '\r' removes a linebreak that suddenly appeared some months ago. Sorry for the delay.
thover
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D80

Post by thover »

Upgrades also need the permission bit reset.

Doing this is easy. Right click to get a menu with Permissions at the bottom and check to make the file executable.

The notes on the latest version of PWP refer to Linux and this thread. I guess many will read and follow the discussion and advice, but there are others who will give up. It would be nice to see a full and corrected step-by-step script. Replacing this whole sub-forum with one that began with that more complete set of instructions, with credits would be even better, going from alpha to beta versions.+
craig

Update on Installing PWP 5.0 on Linux using Wine, and a Ques

Post by craig »

I just installed Picture Window Pro 5.0.1.9 on Linux using Wine, and here are some updates to the procedure listed in earlier emails in this thread for doing this. This install was on a Dell Inspiron 700m (Intel Pentium M 1.60 GHz, 512 MB) running ubuntu 10.10 (32 bit), linux kernel 2.6.35-24-generic, GNOME 2.32.0, wine 1.2.1, and winetricks 20110105.

Here are the two installation steps:

1. Download the PWP5 setup.exe file.

2. Open a Terminal on the directory where setup.exe is located, and run the following commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine cabextract
wget http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks
sh winetricks vcrun2005sp1
wine setup.exe

NOTES:

1. Differences from the install instructions given in the earlier emails in this thread: a) winetricks is downloaded from its current location, b) vcrun2005sp1 is installed rather than vcrun2005, and c) GdiPlus.dll is not installed.

2. When cabextract is being installed, an End-User License Agreement will display in the terminal window. Press TAB to select "Ok," and then use the arrow keys to select the "Yes" option and press ENTER.

3. Based on a posting I saw on the internet, primary functions of GdiPlus.dll are now built into the Wine installation. As a test, I followed the instructions given in the earlier emails in this thread to copy the Microsoft version of GdiPlus.dll into the Wine Windows System32 directory, but it didn't seem to make any difference in the operation of PWP5.

4. Based on some limited testing I did, PWP5 runs reliably in this setup. This is different from the last time I tried to install it (under earlier versions of ubuntu and wine). At that time, the PWP file browser and workflows would crash fairly frequently. Also, type fonts display better than they did the last time I installed PWP, although that may be because I know more about installing Microsoft compatible fonts than I did earlier.

5. Rendering of JPEGs is somewhat slow. This computer is set up for dual booting with WinXPPro, and I also installed PWP5 on the WinXP side. Based on limited timing tests, it appears that JPEGs render about twice as fast under WinXP as under ubuntu. (Other PWP functions seem to be about as fast under ubuntu as under WinXP.) While it would be nice to improve the JPEG rendering speed, PWP5 is certainly quite usable as it is even on this relatively slow machine.

>> My Question: Does someone who knows more than I do about ubuntu and wine have thoughts about improving the rendering speed for JPEGs under ubuntu? This computer is no speed demon, but the issue is the difference in rendering speed between WinXP and ubuntu/wine on the same computer.
craig

Speeding up PWP 5.0 on Linux

Post by craig »

The instructions I posted on Jan. 11, 1011 for installing Picture Window Pro 5.0 on Linux under Wine give a working installation, but some operations are slow. The installation below speeds this up. This was installed on a Dell Inspiron 700m running ubuntu 10.10 (32 bit), linux kernel 2.6.35-24-generic, GNOME 2.32.0, wine 1.2.1, and winetricks 20110105.

1. Download the PWP5 setup.exe file and GdiPlus.zip from the Picture Window Program Files download page.

2. Open a terminal window on the folder that has the downloaded files, and run the following commands. (Read Note A below before doing this.)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine cabextract
wget http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/winetricks
sh winetricks vcrun2005sp1
wine setup.exe
unzip GdiPlus.zip

3. Go to location ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 from the Places menu in GNOME, and rename the file gdiplus.dll in that folder to gdiplus-wine.dll . (This preserves the Wine version of gdiplus.dll in case something goes wrong in Step 4.)

4. In the terminal window, run the following commands:

wine cmd /c copy GdiPlus.dll c:\\windows\\system32\\
winecfg

5. The Wine configuration menu will display. Click the Libraries tab, and under the label "New override for library" enter GdiPlus.dll . Click the Add button to the right of this entry. An entry for gdiplus will appear in the list labeled "Existing overrides." Click on this to highlight it, and click the Edit button to the right. In the dialog that is displayed, click the radio button next to "Native (Windows)" and then click OK. Then click Apply and OK to close the Wine configuration menu.

6. To make sure that Wine will use the Windows GdiPlus.dll, restart your computer before running PWP5.

NOTES:

A. When cabextract is being installed, an End-User License Agreement will display in the terminal window. Press TAB to select "Ok," and then use the arrow keys to select the "Yes" option and press ENTER.

B. Some operations (such as building a browser cache file) will be much faster than when you use the Windows version of GdiPlus.dll that is installed using these instructions, rather than the built-in Wine version. These operations are still somewhat slower than using PWP5 in Windows XP, but they are quite fast.

C. Differences from the installation instructions in earlier emails by other people: i) winetricks is downloaded from its present location, ii) vcrun2005sp1 is installed rather than vcrun2005, and iii) an override for GdiPlus.dll is specified in the Wine configuration settings.
thover
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D80

Post by thover »

Thank you for the update. Doing a reinstall on a new Ubuntu-based Linux Mint setup, I noticed that Winetricks now is back at http://winetricks.org/winetricks

So in Step 2 the command needs to be:
wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks

Followed your suggestions and, at least before rebooting, all seems fine.

A note for those running 64-bit Linux, I have read that getting PWP going also needs the ia32-libs package. I've always had it for other reasons before trying PWP, so I can't say it won't run on 64-bit distros without it.
lt_gustavsen

Post by lt_gustavsen »

Just a quick update since this post is linked on the download page. There is a working install solution here. Tested this today. :-)

http://dl-c.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=4621#p4621
It's like this:

1. Download the PWP7 setup.exe to an empty folder
2. Open a terminal, change directory to the directory containing the just downloaded PWP setup.exe
3. Type: wine setup.exe /extract:
4. Type: wine msiexec /i *.msi
5. Complete the setup.