Magenta Highlights in V5 RAW Coversion

Moderator: jsachs

JayF

Magenta Highlights in V5 RAW Coversion

Post by JayF »

Hello:

I am getting magenta (OK, maybe they're pink ;~)) coloured highlights during RAW conversion in PWPro 5.0.1.8. It almost always happens when the highlights are blown-out and it happens sometimes when the highlights are just "exposed to the right". This did not happen with similar images in PWPro 3n or 4n.

I have been able to mitigate this somewhat, by selecting the HSL colour space in the version 5, RAW converter "Options" drop-down (it is set to HSV by default). Then I have to work with the image quite a bit to get rid of the magenta entirely. Highlight recovery (alone) does not always help with this problem.

Sometimes, this condition is so hard to correct that I end-up using Canon DPP for RAW conversion instead. These images do not seem to present this problem when converted with DPP. However, this is never my first choice because, in my experience, while I think the DPP RAW converter is pretty good, some images lose detail and sometimes there seems to be an unacceptable increase in colour contrast, in the Canon converter.

I remember someone else mentioned subject problem, on the PWPro message board, but, it was buried in a post about another topic (and I can no longer find it).

Is there a solution or trick for correcting this? Is there a fix in the works for a future upgrade?

Cheers! Jay
ksinkel

Re: Magenta Highlights in V5 RAW Coversion

Post by ksinkel »

Jay,

In many cases, neutralizing the cast in Color Correction (after raw conversion) works well.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Perhaps this is the message board thread you were thinking of: http://www.dl-c.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114.

As illustrated in the thread, I tend to favor the Paint Tool in 'HSV-Hue only mode' to remove possible magenta and/or cyan casts from PWP5 CR2 RAW file conversions where there are clipped highlights or there has been highlight recovery.
JayF

Post by JayF »

Thanks Kiril and Den.

I'll try-out your suggestions.

Cheers! Jay