Feature request : Detail tool source image different from input image

Moderator: jsachs

pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Feature request : Detail tool source image different from input image

Post by pierrelabreche »

Just like the Clone tool, it should be possible to clone details from one image to another.
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Feature request : Detail tool source image different from input image

Post by Marpel »

Pierre,

Not sure if I understand what you are requesting and whether "Just like the clone tool" refers to within the same image. But isn't there a clone method in which one can clone from one image to another? Of course, it has to be cloned from the exact same location I believe (could be wrong on this though).

Although a bit longer process, I have used the following work-around:

Comp the image from which you want to clone an object etc into the image that you want the object to end up, but use a mask and the one point adjustment to comp just the object into the image at a location that is not at but near the destination location. Then use clone and clone the object from where it was placed to the desired location. Then just get rid of the source location by re-blending the original with the new copy. I know, a bit clunky, but doable.

Unless I am really misunderstanding your request....

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I did not implement this because the mechanism for cloning from one image to another is very complicated and the most common use for this tool is to fix skin blemishes which is best done within the same image.

One workaround might be to add a border to the image, clone the relevant part of the second image into the border and then use the detail tool as necessary. Finally crop out the added border.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

jsachs wrote: November 29th, 2023, 9:48 pm I did not implement this because the mechanism for cloning from one image to another is very complicated and the most common use for this tool is to fix skin blemishes which is best done within the same image.

One workaround might be to add a border to the image, clone the relevant part of the second image into the border and then use the detail tool as necessary. Finally crop out the added border.
Thanks, your solution is similar to what I did when I needed it.

By the way, the intent for cloning details using two images was to simulate engraving a person's face on a wood surface.

I also wondered whether the cloning tool could include a sub mode "details only" which would make the user interface simpler when cloning details from one image to another.
Last edited by pierrelabreche on December 4th, 2023, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

Marpel wrote: November 29th, 2023, 8:07 pm Pierre,

Not sure if I understand what you are requesting and whether "Just like the clone tool" refers to within the same image. But isn't there a clone method in which one can clone from one image to another? Of course, it has to be cloned from the exact same location I believe (could be wrong on this though).

Although a bit longer process, I have used the following work-around:

Comp the image from which you want to clone an object etc into the image that you want the object to end up, but use a mask and the one point adjustment to comp just the object into the image at a location that is not at but near the destination location. Then use clone and clone the object from where it was placed to the desired location. Then just get rid of the source location by re-blending the original with the new copy. I know, a bit clunky, but doable.

Unless I am really misunderstanding your request....

Marv
Hello Marv, my intent was to simulate engraving or stamping a person's face on a wood surface. I ended up cloning the source image somewhere on the input image, then used the details transform and masked the result for compositing.