Update Available - Version 8.0.403

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Update Available - Version 8.0.403

Post by jsachs »

An update is available to Version 8.0.403 (26-Nov-2023)
Download Link: https://www.dl-c.com/Downloads.html

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Macros: added macros for image width, height and dpi.

File Export: added a template option to let you define custom filenames using macros.

Composite transformation: as before, you can drag all the alignment points at once by holding down Shift. Now you can also rotate all the alignment points (assuming there are at least two of them) at once by holding down Ctrl. The center of rotation is the average position of all the alignment points and is marked by a cross in the overlay.

Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon Z8

Re: Update Available - Version 8.0.403

Post by pierrelabreche »

jsachs wrote: November 26th, 2023, 10:50 am An update is available to Version 8.0.403 (26-Nov-2023)
Download Link: https://www.dl-c.com/Downloads.html

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Macros: added macros for image width, height and dpi.

File Export: added a template option to let you define custom filenames using macros.
Thank you very much for the fantastic new features !

Here is what I found during initial trials :

about Macros :
  • I could not find a macro to extract the filename without the ".extension" suffix. Suggestion : include a separate macro that reflects only the file name without the extension
  • When macros are used in an Export transformation with the optional resize enabled, the width and height macro expansion does not reflect the resize operation. Suggestion : get the attributes of the resulting image rather than the input image.
about File Export transformation using a template for the filename:
  • I could not define a long template text such as ⟪filename⟫_resized_⟪width (pixels}⟫x⟪height (pixels}⟫, because the data entry box lack space for such long text. Suggestion : data entry box should have capacity to accept much longer templates
  • The help button in the File Export transformation dialog box opens a help page which is missing most details found in the online help file. For example the capability of Templates for generating a file name.
  • In the section of the File export transformation, the online help file is missing the description of the settings menu.
  • The dialog box when using macros could be clearer if the label read "Template" rather than "File Name"
    2023-11-26 File Export Dialog.jpg
    2023-11-26 File Export Dialog.jpg (49.07 KiB) Viewed 743 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

For the next release, I fixed the problem with filename including the extension and added a new macro to get just the extension.

The template entry field now expands when you resize the dialog box and it autoscrolls horizontally to accommodate long entries. There is a size limit on pathname of around 256 characters, so you need to be a little careful.

When you download just the executable via the zip file, you don't get the latest help file. To get the latest help file you need to do a full install.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

I did a full install, not the executable only.

The help file appears inconsistent :

Commands > File Commands > File Export ( not linked to the Transformation help button )
... the help is rather complete

Transformations > Export ( linked to the Transformation help button )
... the help provided is not up to date
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Strange -- I remember adding info on the Settings menu to the help topic -- in any case I added it again.

The File/Export command and Export transformation share the same code and nearly all the same settings. Rather than have the same information in two places, the help topic for the transformation has a hyperlink back to the one for the command.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

I read too quickly and skipped the note below the illustrations "For information on the Export controls, see the File Export command."

For added visibility, perhaps a note should be placed at the very top, like :
"The File/Export command and the Export transformation share nearly all the same settings. The help for this transformation does not repeat what is covered in the File/Export command help. For complete information, see the help for the File Export command."
pierrelabreche

Post by pierrelabreche »

In the dialog box, it would be nice to display a preview of the filename that will be used.
-- Especially when a template is used, or when the file already exists and a version number is created or incremented.