Forum Question / Sugestion

Moderator: jsachs

Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Forum Question / Sugestion

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Hello

Does anyone know if there is a way to configure it here to open external link to open automatical in a new window or new tab ?
I do not find anything about in the configuration, but of course i may have overlooked something.
Of course I know about right click on the link and select "open in new window" from context menue, but I know the automatic opening in a new window from other forums and i find it conviniant.

Is there some general interest in this so it may be set as general mode?

Thanks for your sugestions and opinions!
Dieter Mayr
keithrj
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 40D

Re: Forum Question / Sugestion

Post by keithrj »

To do this you need to configure the link with a parameter to open in a new window/tab. I am not sure you can do that when adding a standard link to the forum.

I use Forefox or Chrome as my browser and you can configure the 'Middle Button' (usually the roller button) to open a link in a new tab. The versions of IE that support tabs also has this functionality.
Dieter Mayr

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Thanks Keith

Jonathan / Kiril, can this parameter to open in new window be added as a option or, if more would find it useful, even as default ?
Dieter Mayr
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

HTML links have a target attribute whch can be set to open a link in a new window. However, I do not see how one can set the attribute when creating links in the message board.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
thover
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D80

Post by thover »

Did a search and found this how-to: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=544131

Reading a bit suggested that newer versions may have broken this 2007 solution and that this 2009 approach might work: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 9&start=10

More hits by searching: phpBB "open link " "new tab" , but those two seem the most relevant of those I looked at.

I am among those who prefer a new tab or window, and if you get it solved I'll pass it on to the ops at the Linux Mint forum (using the same otherwise excellent software) where it is even more annoying since I encounter it more often.
kkopchynski
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 40D

Post by kkopchynski »

Hi,

If using Firefox, one can install the Tab Mix Plus addon that lets you force links to open in a new tab or window.
This works best if you want this behavior almost all the time, or else you are going in to change the settings often.
I pretty much by reflex now right-click and specify new tab on all links.
I'd bet that IE has similar functioning, but I rarely use it. Haven't looked at Chrome yet.

Kevin
swo

Post by swo »

In IE8 you can Ctrl+Left Click to open a link on a new tab

-Søren-
Dieter Mayr

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Kevin, Søren

Thanks for your replies, they both work nicely!
Dieter Mayr