PWP starts as minimized and locked

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

PWP starts as minimized and locked

Post by davidh »

When I started PWP Pro 8 today, it opened as minimized icon in the windows bottom bar. When I click the icon, the window opens but is empty and locked - no initial dialog asking what to load, no menu is accessible. PWP window cannot be closed, it needs to be killed using the Task Manager.

As I had the 8.0.278 version (working without problem until today), I installed the lastest version 8.0.280 over it - the full istallation package - no change.

Before I unistall completely and reinstall, and probably lose all my own defaults, is there anything else I should try?
The question is whether complete reinstall helps anyway. It may be some windows file got currupt.
jsachs

Re: PWP starts as minimized and locked

Post by jsachs »

The initial window configuration is stored in the text file:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Picture Window Pro\Session State\session.state

the relevant entries are window_placement, browser_window_placement, and preview_window_placement

if you remove those lines from the file, the window configuration should reset itself. If this has been corrupted however it is possible other settings are also messed up. If necessary, you can delete the entire file, but you will lose your use counts and some other persistent data, so I would keep a copy of the original file around.

FYI, Uninstalling and re-installing does not generally remove this file or your Preferences or Color Management settings since these files are not part of the original installation. The Windows un-installer only removes files it installed, not files the program creates after it was installed.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Re: PWP starts as minimized and locked

Post by davidh »

I did and PWP works again.

Great help,
Thanks