Selection tool bar

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Selection tool bar

Post by davidh »

When you make the tree log enough to automatically scroll up, it goes down under the Selection tool bar.
If you then want to copy a transformation and click on the Insert copies.... button, you activate the image hidden under the tool button instead.
Attachments
Image 1.png
Image 1.png (4.75 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
jsachs

Re: Selection tool bar

Post by jsachs »

I am not able to reproduce this here.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

The simplest way to reproduce it:
1. Create a tree similar to the one in the image 1 (you need three branches to get a thumbnail under the Insert copies button *)
2. Drag the bottom edge of the PWP window up to display the right scroll bar
3. Drag the scroll bar slider down, or click under the slider, to shove the pink thumbnail partly under the tool bar - image 2.
4. Click the button Insert copies.... -> the pink thumbnail gets from under the tool bar and becomes active - image 3

Two more observations:
Sometimes it seems as if it depends on where on the button you click, or how much of the thumbnail is hidden.
Sometimes even the first click does nothing and then the second works as expected and triggers the Copy confirmation box.
Perhaps the active space of the mouse cursor is too large?

* The same happens with Close selected transformations button. I have not tried other buttons.
Attachments
Selection tool bar.png
Selection tool bar.png (55.24 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I am still not seeing this here -- it should be impossible for a click on the tool bar to be interpreted as a click on a thumbnail, so the only explanation I can imagine is a problem with the active point of the cursor being misaligned with the tip of its arrow so you are not actually clicking where you think you are clicking. This could happen if you are using a non-standard cursor -- some mouse drivers let you change to a different cursor. Another remote possibility is that it has something to do with the pop-up tool tips, but I was unable to reproduce the problem whether they were displayed or not. One way you can tell where your cursor is pointing is to hover it over one of the tool bar buttons and then see how far you can move it before the tool tip disappears.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

I only use the standard cursor, and it points properly.
However, using the hovering cursor to pop-up tips I discovered something else.

Here is the sumarization of observations:

All are related only to the situation when a thumbnail is partly hidden under the Selection tool bar button Insert copies....

- When the button is double-clicked, it works as expected

- When there is a time delay to let the tool tip pop-up first and then the button is single clicked, it works as expected.

- When an active thumbnail is other then the one that is partly hidden under the tool bar button, the first fast click (before tool tip pops up) just pushes the thumbnail from under the tool bar and makes it active, and only the next fast click does what is expected - shows also the top of the tree (image 1) and displays the confirmation box.

- When an active thumbnail is the one partly hidden under the tool bar button, only doble-click, or waiting for the tool tip + single click, do what is expected.

-----------------

Nothing of this is very important and I posted it only as something out of common. It might also prove to be specific to my PC.

Just to make sure my PC is not to much obsolete:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz
RAM: 32,0 GB

When I run PWP 8.0, mostly the only thing which also may be running at the same time is a browser (Vivaldi).