RAW correction sequence

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

RAW correction sequence

Post by tomczak »

I'm experimenting with semi-blind RAW corrections sequence for a 'RAW snippet'. This is what I figured may work, but I'm not quite sure about the order or perhaps there is something else that I'm forgetting that could work better. The idea is to get a passable 48 bit image from RAW that is massaged enough to process further.

- File Open
- Chromatic Abberation (Breakpoint)
- Lens Distortion (Breakpoint)
- Multi Color Balance (Auto black and white, but no contrast stretching, low white/black threshold)
- Auto Range (with White and Black set to some 1% - to give some room for further manipulations)
- Adjust (or maybe Filter, with Breakpoint, to mostly skew the auto WB to the light the shot was taken at, but also maybe fix a few other things at the same time if it's Adjust)
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Re: RAW correction sequence

Post by jsachs »

I wouldn't bother with Auto Range but would use the curve in Adjust instead as it gives the ability to adjust contrast (and other things) as well as dynamic range. Most modern lenses don't need much correction for CA, but you might add light falloff. If you initialize them as bypassed, you can turn them on if needed.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

Cheers! The light falloff should probably be inserted before lens distortion?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I would think so.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

One more thing -- if you create a generic profile for your camera (via the Create Profile transformation) you might want to apply it right after opening a raw file.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color