Split Screen Vertical Support

Moderator: jsachs

dvhirst
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 70D

Split Screen Vertical Support

Post by dvhirst »

Hello Jonathan,

I am back at work on a new project, after being away from photography and PWP8 for a while. The capabilities in PWP8 boggle the mind, thanks for the continuous development this app has seen since I first started using it, many, many years ago.

Now, I am working on pano images and would find it very helpful if transformations that use a split-screen display could be arranged with a vertical split, rather than the current horizontal split. That way, I can use the entire width of the image area for my pano images, rather than only half the width. If I've missed an interface control that makes this happen (I have looked), please point me in the right direction. If not, is this a new interface control that could be included in an upcoming release? Thanks.
Don Hirst
Canon 70D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L
Canon G10, G7x
jsachs

Re: Split Screen Vertical Support

Post by jsachs »

I will put this on the enhancement request list -- will need to take a close look at the code to see how hard this would be to implement.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

tomczak wrote: June 29th, 2020, 3:00 am Just to add to the discussion, although this may not be easy or even desirable to implement, perhaps having an option to turn the browser window 90deg to make the branches horizontal (PWP7 style) could be considered?
Maybe this suggestion, if doable at all, could go well with the previous one?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I know that one would be a lot of work.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
dvhirst

Post by dvhirst »

Jonathan, the vertical split works a treat, thank you! I am using a two-monitor configuration, so mask controls are on the second monitor. This is also a great feature. (Showing Mask>Separate on 2 colors transform)

My only confusion -- the top image looks like a mask, it is labeled with the source image path, the bottom image looks like a source image, it is labeled as a mask. What am I missing here?
Image 1415 (1000x750).png
Image 1415 (1000x750).png (479.44 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
Don Hirst
Canon G10, G7x
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Whatever would be on the left in a side-by-side split screen is on top in over/under split screen mode.

I am inferring from your screen shot that you have a mask dialog box open on the other monitor and that it is set to display the mask only, so the input image (which would normally be on top) is covered with an opaque copy of the mask as a black and white image.

The output of the Masks transformation is not the mask (actually there could be up to four of them) but rather an exact copy of the input image. This lets you insert a Masks transformation in the middle of a branch without disturbing it so you avoid the need for a side branch. The mask itself is available to other transformations by selecting it from the Amount menu.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
dvhirst

Post by dvhirst »

Thanks, I think some time re-reading the manual section on masks might be a good idea.

DVH
Don Hirst
Canon G10, G7x
dvhirst

Post by dvhirst »

Jonathan,

The last few sets of updates have really put the shine on a wonderful product. I was able to create the desired mask by working on it in 1/3s and then compositing the results. The action that really drove the memory occupancy up was frequent short clicks on highly detailed tree-line areas. Sweeping down the tree-line area with a good fixed-source sample gave good results without driving memory up. Tricks learned.

The app and resulting mask worked very nicely with the haze transform to produce the desired results:

Image 1419 (1024x768).jpg
Image 1419 (1024x768).jpg (104.81 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Being able to show the images vertically makes much better use of the screen space, and is a welcome additional capability. Kudos.

The pollution haze from cities further north from Eugene is still clearly visible to the west of the Coburg Hills.

DVH
Don Hirst
Canon G10, G7x
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Glad you got it to work -- each click of the flood fill tool creates two new masks, so for a large image that uses us memory quickly. The extra copies make it possible to quickly undo each step without having to start over from the beginning.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color