Off-Topic -- Images

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Off-Topic -- Images

Post by jsachs »

Last year I had a Sony A7RII converted by Monochrome Imaging for use as a black and white and infrared (IR) camera. It has taken a while to learn how to take advantage of IR, and I really like the way it lets you visualize the entire biome as a unified whole. Also, you often get the best results with scenes that are too contrasty for normal photography so you can shoot under conditions one might normally avoid.

Given some of the extra time and energy the Covid-19 pandemic has given me to take more photographs, I have been exploring the conservation lands of Concord, Massachusetts and the surrounding towns and also did a one day excursion to Vermont earlier this month.

Here is a link to a few recent images.

https://www.dl-c.com/Gallery

If anyone else has been taking photos during this time, please post links to them here -- it's always interesting to see what others are doing. I can create a new forum section if there is enough interest.

Also, let me know if you have any trouble viewing the images as I am experimenting with some new gallery software (Juicebox Pro).
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Re: Off-Topic -- Images

Post by MarkT »

Well, I'm impressed! Great to see what you've been up to, and I'm pretty impressed with your IR images. "4/5" is especially good, in my opinion.

The presentation gallery works just fine. I'd prefer some way to zoom in a little on the images, but it's clean and easy to navigate as is.

For what it's worth, I've been #stayingathome since the middle of March, so I've only been motivated to explore our backyard garden. My wife has managed to cram over 100 different species of plants into about 400 square feet, and every spring I get fascinated with the new growth. If you are interested, please take a look at my Flickr photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/truszphoto/. I'm always open to comments or suggestions.

Looking forward to seeing what others have been up to.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Thanks for posting your images -- I like the way you seem to photograph flowers like portraits -- some of them are absolutely gorgeous.

I think the pandemic may be helping to bring out latent creativity by cutting off some of our normal outlets and distractions.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Thank you for the kind words. As a retired portrait photographer I'm glad to know my skills are transferable...

I certainly have had more time than ever to take a closer look at the world right outside my door, literally. I've also been going back through my catalogue and finding new gems to polish. And with all of the exciting PWP 8 developments I have spent more time editing photos than I have in years. So thank you for providing a very rewarding distraction to the otherwise gloomy pandemic situation.

As far as sharing images, are you thinking of opening up your gallery to forum users? Perhaps a "one image per month" option, with the ability to add comments? Not sure what's possible, but it might be educational to see what others can do with the help of PWP.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I would like to pull together a gallery of images from PWP users - how that would work is something I am still trying to figure out.

The simplest way would be a series of links to each user's own galleries since most folks either have their own web gallery or use Flickr or some other photo sharing site. This lets everyone display as many image as they want, and I have a few of those links already.

Alternatively, I could host one or mare galleries and accept submissions. For illustrating what PWP can do, before and after pairs of images work well. Or, just a gallery of finished images helps new potential users take the program seriously.

Personally, I just like to see other photographer's work -- everyone is so different, even when they photograph the same subject on the same day.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote: June 24th, 2020, 4:36 pm I would like to pull together a gallery of images from PWP users - how that would work is something I am still trying to figure out.
The simplest way would be a series of links to each user's own galleries...
My Flickr account | About opens: "Nearly every photo was finished in Picture Window Pro from Digital Light & Color."
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

jsachs wrote: June 24th, 2020, 4:36 pm The simplest way would be a series of links to each user's own galleries since most folks either have their own web gallery or use Flickr or some other photo sharing site. This lets everyone display as many image as they want, and I have a few of those links already.
I would like to occasionally share with other PWP users. But I do not have my own web gallery or regularly use Flickr or other photo sharing or social media site. Public display of my best images is generally through publication in magazines or newspapers or framed and hanging on the walls of friend's homes (at their request). However, last year the chairman of a national championship sporting event did set up a Flickr site to display the photos I was commissioned to shoot.

So I would appreciate the option of posting (rarely) to a "general" PWP gallery.
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

I think a way of showing a few images, would be a good idea. Like some others, though, I do not have a site nor do I use Flicker etc, so some gallery hosted via PWP would be welcome. I would like to see the work of others.

I would suggest if part of your intent is to showcase PWP to potential users, that the best of the best, primarily processed with PWP, be curated from the "bunch" and be available for public view via the Home page. If I was a potential customer, I would not be interested in following a link to someone's Flicker site to see a plethora of images, the quality of which you can not control.

Marv
dvhirst
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 70D

Post by dvhirst »

@marpel: +1
I really like this idea; would love to be able to point folks in my photo club to such a gallery as a way to raise interest in this wonderful app. Much appreciation to Jonathan, Kiril, and all who support it.
Don Hirst
Canon 70D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L
Canon G10, G7x
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The idea of a gallery seems to be popular, but there seem to be several divergent objectives:

1) Creative cross-pollination via sharing of photographs -- possibly a regularly updated gallery of finished images

2) Promotion of personal web sites -- a list of links with a short blurb for each one

3) Promotion of PWP -- possibly a relatively static gallery of before and after images and other images related to specific topics such as photo retouching, stereo, infrared, black and white, special effects, etc.

4) Requests for critiques or help with post-processing -- probably one or more new message board sections

One of my concerns is the amount of work needed for gallery maintenance as I would prefer to spend most of my time fixing bugs and adding features, but it would also be great to create an active, supportive image sharing community.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color