Expanded Dynamic Range

Moderator: jsachs

tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Expanded Dynamic Range

Post by tomczak »

There is Fuji Expanded D-Range, Nikon D-light, Canon Highlight priority...

Would anyone have a good handle on how they actually work?

My present understanding is that they set the exposure (Aperture+Shutter+ISO), then lower ISO by one-two stops thus underexposing the image, then use a curve to pull up midtones to highlights and brighten the image. I'm not sure if it's true, but if it is, does it mean that RAW data recorded in those modes is basically underexposed RAW with more headroom for highlight adjustments?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Re: Expanded Dynamic Range

Post by Charles2 »

At least for the Fuji X cameras, I believe the curve adjustment is done on the camera JPG. not the raw. Obviously, the ISO modification affects the raw.

Per the attached excerpt from the XE-1 manual, you can use the Dynamic Range option with a variety of exposure settings.

The XE-1 has excellent sensor range. In the most demanding instance, you set exposure, shutter, and ISO as a sort of linear programming problem: the aperture for aesthetic effect, shutter that you need to avoid motion blur, and ISO raised against shadow clipping. You will get a good photo out of the raw plus PWP.
Attachments
FujiXE1_excerpt.jpg
FujiXE1_excerpt.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Maciej,

My understanding of Nikons Active D-Lighting:
If neccessary the exposure is reduced to have more headroom for highlight recovery.
All other effects of Active D-Lighting are post processing adjustments for JPEGs.
Settings for Active D-Lightning are saved with the NEFs metadata, but only Nikons Raw-Converter makes use of this settings.
I personally don't use D-Lightning, the only benefit for NEFs would be that reduction of the exposure, but that can be done by myself, too.
A quick check of the histogram and / or overexposure warning and you know whats going on.
It's not a expansion of the actual dynamic range, just helps to expose correctly, so to speak.

Dieter
Dieter Mayr
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Charles,

1) what's 'mottling'? Low frequency noise at high ISO required for DR 400%?
2) what exactly does AUTO DR in X-E1 do?

Cheers!
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Charles, one more question since you have X-E1:

How does the X-E1's AF-C actually work (I.e. how different it is from AF-S)? I understand that it doesn't track anything, can't be used with continuous drive and that the focus is locked anyway when shutter is pressed half-way? Is it of any use? Did recent firmware releases (making X-E1 somewhat closer to X-E2) improved on the AF-C functionality at all?

Cheers!

p.s. Dieter, thanks!
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

AF-C on Fuji XE-1

Post by Charles2 »

Since I never use AF-C and mostly use manual focus with third-party lenses, I cannot answer your question. You might find reports at
http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/fo ... iscussion/