Tint Transform

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Tint Transform

Post by Marpel »

I have a JPEG image which contains approx 20 - 30 squares of solid colour (2013 colour trends), which I frequently reference to tint some of my images. My current method seems somewhat cumbersome, so am looking for advice on ensuring accuracy and speed. One of the biggest hurdles is related to the fact that each colour is not only different in hue but also different in tone. My current method is as follows:

Open an image. Open the colour swatch. Open the Brightness Curve transform. Use the probe on the swatch to determine where the swatch brightness is located on the curve (no curve manipulation necessary). Remember the approx location. Close the curve transform. Open the Tint transform and place a point on the line that is relative to the location on the curve. Double click the point to open the colour probe tool. Probe the swatch and apply that colour.

The problem is twofold. The Tint and the Curve transforms can not be open at the same time (at least I can't figure how to do so), so I am forever opening and closing each to use the other. The second problem is, as already mentioned, each colour square is not the same brightness so I can't just place a generic point midway along the Tint line. For it to be accurate, the point needs to be at its correct location and although in my current method, I can get pretty close, by eye, it would be nice to have the two points match exactly.

Any suggestions on how to better accomplish what I am trying to do would be most appreciated. And hopefully, I have explained this sufficiently to alleviate any confusion.

Marv
jsachs

Re: Tint Transform

Post by jsachs »

I might have some idea of what you are trying to accomplish if you posted some sample images and patches.

You can make all the patches the same tone using the Color Curves, switching to HSL or HSV color space and setting the L or V curve to be a horizontal line. This will force all the patches to have the same L or V value.

You can also save color lines as files if you want to re-use them.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

I am attaching 2 images; one of the colour chart and the second of an image I am currently working on. In the work in progress, I used the chart to get some of the colours from the group in the lower left (cobblestone, shitaki and moss green so far I think). The issue is, because the colour patches have different tones (e.g. the cobblestone is lighter in tone than the green or plum), I don't know where to place a point on the Tint line, without opening the curves dialogue and using the probe on the colour patch, then remembering where it was located and trying to place it in the same location on the Tint line. If I am using multiple colours from the patches, I am constantly opening and closing the curves dialogue. I was hoping someone had a better method. If I merely placed a point on the Tint line in the middle for, as an example, the cobblestone or light colour, the resulting image is blown out. Moving the point once the hue is chosen, often results in the left side darkening too much and the hue changes somewhat. I have not tried your suggestion yet of equalizing the colour patches, but I think it would change the patches, would it not? Or am I over-thinking this.

Marv
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

I am attaching 2 images; one of the colour chart and the second of an image I am currently working on. In the work in progress, I used the chart to get some of the colours from the group in the lower left (cobblestone, shitaki and moss green so far I think). The issue is, because the colour patches have different tones (e.g. the cobblestone is lighter in tone than the green or plum), I don't know where to place a point on the Tint line, without opening the curves dialogue and using the probe on the colour patch, then remembering where it was located and trying to place it in the same location on the Tint line. If I am using multiple colours from the patches, I am constantly opening and closing the curves dialogue. I was hoping someone had a better method. If I merely placed a point on the Tint line in the middle for, as an example, the cobblestone or light colour, the resulting image is blown out. Moving the point once the hue is chosen, often results in the left side darkening too much and the hue changes somewhat. I have not tried your suggestion yet of equalizing the colour patches, but I think it would change the patches, would it not? Or am I over-thinking this.

Marv
Colour-Trend.jpg
Colour-Trend.jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
Attachments
3936a.jpg
3936a.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Sorry for the double post. I posted initially and realized the attachments were too large and did not accompany the post (too stupid to see the red coloured warning about file size!!) so had to resize and when I tried editing the post, I had problems when one of the images landed twice in the same post. In my efforts to correct, I apparently double posted.

Marv
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Rather then using Tint... perhaps ColorCorrect or Remap would be a better choice to substitute the Hue and Saturation of a swatch for the Hue and Saturation at a particular Value [tone] in the image...

ColorCorrect is the easiest to describe and perform...
(1) click on the image...
(2) open ColorCorrect and with the ColorCorrect Probe, click on a color swatch... ...a Hue and Saturation control point is placed in the color hexagon...
(3) with the ColorCorrect Probe, click on a H,S, and V in the image that you wish to change [a mid-tone tree bark color, for example] to the H and S of the swatch... ...this establishes another control point on the color hexagon...
(4) drag an arrow head from the (3) control point to the (2) control point...
(5) adjust Amount and Radius to preference. Note also that brightness (V or Value) can be changed if preferred whenever a control point is 'active'...
(6) repeat (1) to (5) to add other swatch H and S's to the image's V's...

Remap could also be used and offers better control for blending H, S, and V changes for specific color pairs... ...but its use is not as simple to describe.

Note: the Color Correct and Remap transforms are based upon the HSV color space model... Hue, Saturation, and Value.
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Den,

Thanks for the suggested method and detailed narrative. I will have to do some experimenting with Colorcorrect and/or Remap. I have never tried Remap before and am completely unfamiliar with it, so will have to do some reading. I did try Colorcorrect, albeit sparingly, a few years ago, but started to use Tint and stuck with it over the last while. Which is perhaps why I didn't even think of Colorcorrect when facing my problem.

Thanks again.

Marv
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

The Remap transform...

The following may aid in its understanding in addition to the 'F1 Help' when the dialog is 'active'...

The key to understanding the Remap transform is that it is essentially the ColorCorrect transform with a different User Interface and improved gradient [feathering] controls for preference color/tone changes:
...(a) both function in the HSV color space model.
...(b) Remap uses ColorPairs instead of ControlPoints with arrows.
...(c) Remap has a Chroma radius control for each individual ColorPair whereas ColorCorrect has a universal 0->1.0 radius slider for all ControlPoints.
...(d) Remap has a readily available Brightness (HSV-V) control for each individual ColorPair whereas ColorCorrect's ControlPoint brightness [HSV-V] requires a specific control point to be 'active'.
...(e) Remap's Tightness is essentially the same as the ColorCorrect 0->1.0 radius slider providing global application of the individual ColorPair Chroma/Brightness settings. Note: Tightness is maximum at a value of 1.00 and minium at 0.00... ...an opposite effect to the ColorCorrect Radius setting.
...(f) Remap [PWP6 v6.0.10] is currently limited to eight ColorPairs whereas ColorCorrect essentially has no such limitation.

More specifically to this thread, the following will create a duo-tone effect by adding "Winter Moss" green to the tree bark tone/colors using the Remap transform...
(1) Use the Reamp Probe to select a tree bark H, S, and V.
(2) Double left click on the Outer color pair to open the Color 1 dialog. Change its color space readout from RGB to HSV and note V [Value].
(3) Double left click on the Inner color pair to open the Remapped Color 1 dialog. Change its color space readout from RGB to HSV.
(4) Use the Remapped Color 1 Probe to select the 'Winter Moss" swatch. Enter V value from the Color 1 dialog or move the vertical color bar slider until the V equals the Color 1 V [or to a brighter or darker tone if a preference].
(5) Adjust the Remap color change Tightness and Amount to a preference generally leaving the Color Pair's Chroma and Brightness Radii at their default settings.

Hope this is helpful...

...den..
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Use Color Correction if you want to change the hue and saturation of all colors in the image, regardless of their brightness. Use Color Remap if you only want to change colors of a specific brightness. Most of the time Color Correction is the easiest way to do what you are describing. Just click on the image to set a control point at the hue and saturation where you clicked and then drag the control point in the color hexagon to adjust the color. You can also use the slider to adjust the brightness of pixels affected by any given control point.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Den and Jonathan,

Thanks for the added info and, Den, the detailed tutorial. I am finding it quite helpful in learning a new technique.

Marv