Switch to Mac

Moderator: jsachs

IChavel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: unknown

Switch to Mac

Post by IChavel »

I am a long time user of PWPro, from 3/3.5 days, for the PC. Just switched to the IMac (OS X Lion), downloaded the ProPro 6 embedded in Wine. My current questions are:

1. I cannot raise my monitor profile in the File>Color Management dialog. How do I do this?

2. Where would I put a soft-proofing profile for when I wish to send a file out for printing?

3. Where do I put a printing profile for a particular paper for my home printer?

Thanks

Isaac
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: Switch to Mac

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Isaac, I do not have practical expierience with Macs, but as Wine is a virtual machine, it should follow the same rules as othe VMs.
PWP looks for the profiles in the folder/directors where Windows stores them, that is C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color in a WinXP system.
(I do not have the location for Vista or 7 at hand now, but they should be easy to find).
So I guess you will have to copy your profiles to the approppriate location in your virtual machines virtual drive, and PWP will find them.

Hope it helps

Greetings from Salzburg
Dieter Mayr
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

On my Windows 7 machine, I just visited the location identified in Dieter's posting. There I found files for profiles of different kinds of printing paper. I don't know how to identify the file names for a monitor profile or soft proofing profiles. So I don't know if they are among the files resident at that location.
IChavel

Post by IChavel »

Thanks, I'll track it down immediately.

Isaac
IChavel

Post by IChavel »

Hmmmm ... still a problem.

I put paper profiles in the "usual" place; but the dialog box for printing does not allow picking one of those.

Also, I found the monitor profile in the iMac display/color dialog, but have no way to copy it to the "usual" folder.

Any ideas, anyone?

Isaac
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

PWP does not show the filename of the profile but it's internal description.
On my machine for example i have a profile with the filename pcdcnycc.icm, but the description where it can be found in PWPs dialogues is "KODAK Photo CD Color Negative V3.0".
The discription of the profile can be found with right click on the file in Windows Explorer, -> Properties and the on the 2nd tab, Profile Information. (I have only a german version of Windows and have translated the captions, if they are wrong please feel free to correct).

Isaac, the Print dialogue shows ony printer profiles, no "colorspace" profile like sRGB, for example.
I dont know of a "barefoot" in system way to check if the profile is "printer" in Windows, but maybe the Mac OS has built something inside ?
Do you see the profiles in question in File -> Color Management Settings in PWP in Proofing Profile ?
If so they are on the right place, but maybe not tagged correctly as printer profile.

Oh, and you did start PWP new after copying the profiles ? If not, it may not read the profiles list, AFAIK it reads them only at startup.
Dieter Mayr
IChavel

Post by IChavel »

Dieter, Thanks for all your trouble.

There must be something to one of the facts that I am using OS X Mountain Lion, and/or I have a single-click mouse. I enabled the double(secondary)-click, but that does not raise anything.

I found, after quite awhile, the wine/windows directories /system32/spool.../color and put the profiles there both in the Wine version of the Windows VM and the Parallels version. No go. And yes, I only started PWPro after the files were in place.

For the moment, unless someone has a solution in hand, I will probably look for a work-around. Maybe printing can be done with iPhoto. Or maybe I have to develop a workflow combining Lightroom with PWPro [I feel as though I just committed a sacrilege :( ].

Thanks for your efforts; I genuinely appreciate them. If I ultimately come up with a (hopefully, elegant) solution, I'll be sure to post it. Meanwhile, I hope others tha thave faced this problem will have a solution, and let me know.

Isaac
IChavel

Post by IChavel »

Well, mini-progress.

I found the monitor/working space profiles that are downloaded with PWPro, placed them in the correct Windows folders, and the program now recognizes them. But none of the other monitor profiles.

As to the printing profiles, the dialog box does not offer a choice of paper, just says automatic. And when the printing image/box comes up, there is no opportunity to choose, either.

Keep on truckin'

Isaac
kkopchynski
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 40D

Post by kkopchynski »

Hi,

In Snow Leopard, the monitor and other profiles are in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles. Can you copy those to the WINE directory?
Hopefully Lion is similar or the same location. But copying into WINE looks like a challenge. I do not have the \Color folder in system32\spool and I'm not seeing an easy way to create it. I will report back if I find anything. My apologies if I have not understood the question correctly.

Kevin
IChavel

Post by IChavel »

Kevin,

I was able to copy the profiles into the Wine \color folder. No go. :(