Picture Window Pro 5.0.1.10 Posted

Moderator: jsachs

ksinkel

Picture Window Pro 5.0.1.10 Posted

Post by ksinkel »

Picture Window Pro 5.0.1.10 is now available for download.

PWP 5.0.1.10 updates the raw converter to support recently introduced cameras. Support for Samsung (.srw) raw files has been added.

The count colors function (recently discussed on the message board) now supports 48 bit images and has also been made faster than before. The function is now fairly fast as long as actual memory is available. It is much much slower if it runs out of physical memory and must use virtual memory. Please note that 48 bits introduces many more color possibilities and so Count Colors is much more likely to run out of memory before the entire image is processed. If it does run out of memory, it issues an error message but still reports the number of colors counted up until the error.

You can download the new version from http://dl-c.com/content/view/23/54/

Kiril

•Website
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
gio
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: NIkon D7000

Re: Picture Window Pro 5.0.1.10 Posted

Post by gio »

Hello Kiril,

thanks for the upgrade. I just installed PWP 5.0.1.10 and got the out of memory error after 9,369,434 colors.
Is it possible to implement a "count colors per channel" for 48bit-images, which would require far less memory to compute?

Kind regards
Johannes
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Johannes,

I think you get more useful information from Color Curves applied separately to each channel. While it doesn't provide a count it does show you the distribution of each channel, something you would not get from a count.

Incidentally, why are you interested in a color count?

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

To count colors per channel, you can simply extract one or more of the channels and then count the colors in the extracted 16-bit B&W image. This is very different from counting the colors in a 48-bit color image however.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Thanks for the update Kiril and Jonathan.

I see that there is still the problem when using "Window | Close All", that the Preferences option of "Confirm on Close" gets reset to "Confirm all unsaved images", when I had set it previously to "Confirm last image of series only". Any chance this can be fixed?
dkloi

Post by dkloi »

I've noticed a change in the print dialogue behaviour in this latest release, it doesn't remember settings. The scaling option defaults to scale to fit page, and the custom profile defaults to none. This occurs even if the program is not closed between successive printing.

It's a minor thing but as I usually use the same paper when during a print run, and usually scale my pictures prior to printing, I'd like to have PWP remember what settings I used previously.

PWP5.0.1.10 under Windows 7 Pro x64 on an Intel i7 920 and 6GB RAM

Cheers,
Daniel.

PS When printing a black and white image (8 or 16 bit), is it possible to change the dialogue box so that I can use a custom profile? Otherwise my printer gives horrible colour casts when printing this way (Epson 2100). My work around is to convert the image to 24 or 48 bit colour and then print as a colour image with the custom profile. It'd save the extra step and also reduce the scope for error when printing black and white images.