TFT monitor

Moderator: jsachs

ddddyyyyy

Re: TFT monitor

Post by ddddyyyyy »

andrewh

Post by andrewh »

I have recently bought a HP LP2475W which is H-IPS and it has changed my life. At first I struggled with callibration but once I turned the brightness right down, it has been absolutely wonderful. Wide gamut, great colours and a joy to work on.

No complaints at all but I hear that the 22 inch version is not a H-IPS panel.

HTH
Andrew
Tarlika

Post by Tarlika »

The links JML posted yesterday were most helpful!

AnandTech's LCD Thread is a must-read to get an understanding what to look for in a review. Furthermore, it gives links to professional review sites.

For reviews, I found Flatpanels and TFT Central very useful. The latter has a TFT selector, which allows the user to select the required characteristics and price range and returns a list of monitors that fit the bill, although personally I would have preferred a simple table. The reviews on TFT Central are in-depth including tests of Colour Accuracy, Black Depth and Contrast.

I read several reviews on the Dell 2209WA. Comments on a "far too strong backlight" as mentioned in LCDreviews - Dell 2209WA, which mentioned in several other articles, put me right off it. However, the low price tag cannot be ignored.

In the lower price bracket I saw very favourable reviews for HP L2275W and HP L2475W. The former uses S-PVA technology, the latter H-IPS. Particularly when calibrated with a colorimeter they produced very good results.

One thing to bear in mind is that you won't find a professional review for every monitor, which makes it difficult if not impossible to compare.
Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz
Tarlika

Post by Tarlika »

prad.de (available in English + German) provides a huge number of reviews. Detail and presentation of the reviews are outstaning! Every review is preceded by an overview in table format.

The site offers a Comparison feature where the user can select several monitors from drop-down menus, which are then presented side-by side in table format. Similarly, the Find Models function allows selection of monitors by dozens of criteria resulting in a side-by-side comparison.

By the way, does this forum not allow you to edit your previous posts?
Tarlika

Post by Tarlika »

I noticed some monitors such as Eizo S2231... have a 10-bit LUT. What is it for compared to graphics card LUTs?
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Post by HanSch »

I back the comments about the various panels. A year ago I bought a widescreen Iiyama with TN-panel and switched back to my old LG with MVA-panel within a week. My children are gaming now with the widescreen.
Simply flipping an image with a blue sky was enough to change to upside down sky in a cyan color. The vertical viewing angle was so limited that moving my head up and down a bit changed the luminance of the image. The foreground of images were printed too dark, because the lower part of the screen was a bit lighter than the upper.
No TN-panels for image editing, although the others are a pain in the purse.
Tarlika

Post by Tarlika »

andrewh: I have recently bought a HP LP2475W which is H-IPS [...] it has been absolutely wonderful. Wide gamut, great colours and a joy to work on.

No complaints at all but I hear that the 22 inch version is not a H-IPS panel.
Interestingly, I found the following comment in a review (Prad on HP LP2475W):
Even though the contrast values are not as good as those provided by modern S-PVA panels, the HP LP2475w still convinces completely when it comes to image quality.
andrewh, do you calibrate you monitor with a colorimeter?
kevgermany

Post by kevgermany »

Would be good to sticky this thread - or move it to a hints and tips forum.
Kev

Man is limited by his fears, not his imagination