Cropping and resizing

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Cropping and resizing

Post by Marpel »

Hello,

I doubt this is a PWP specific question and I'm not even sure my question has an easy answer. I am trying to do the following:

When I open one of my images (6048 x 4032 ppi) and crop a 20 x 13 pixel section and enlarge it fill the screen, I get an image of 20 x 13 solid coloured squares, each representing one pixel. However, this image is only 20 x 13 pixels in size, so extremely small. My question is this - How can I enlarge this image so it is 6048 x 4032 in size but still has 20 x 13 squares of solid colours, like the smaller ppi image (now each square would be about 300 pixels square in size, but still a solid colour). When I try simple up-rezzing the small image to 6048 x 4032, I get an image with the squares all blurred together, rather than the sharp edged squares. This I understand, but I don't know enough about resizing to know if it is possible to obtain what I wish. I know I can probably do up 260 separate new 6048 x 4032 images with each one the colour of one of the 20 x 13 squares then do multiple 300 pixel sized masks and use the composite transformation a gazillion times, but this would be inordinately slow and confusing to keep track of all the masks and images so probably not a likely scenario.

Again, not even sure this is feasible, but would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Walker
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon R5

Re: Cropping and resizing

Post by Bob Walker »

Marpel,

You are in luck, the answer is simple.

You have the right idea, just be sure that when you upsize the image to the larger pixel dimensions, that you choose the "Nearest Neighbor" algorithm as the selection for the Interpolation Method in the Resize dialog. You will get little blocks of fixed color for every pixel.

You are getting blurred edges because you are most likely using the default bicubic interpolation method.

Good luck,
Bob
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Bob,

I just tried your suggested method and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated!

Marv
MikeG
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic G1

Post by MikeG »

I'm sitting here shaking my head in amazement at what is possible when you know how!
Mike.
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I hear ya. I have used PWP for years (since version 2 I think) and it is my most-used image editing program, however as in this case, I am often reminded of how little I really know.

Marv