Exif info deleted in workflow

Moderator: jsachs

Ilan

Exif info deleted in workflow

Post by Ilan »

Is there a way to preserve existing Exif comments while saving a picture as jpeg in a workflow? When saving a TIFF file as jpeg manually there is an option to preserve comments. In the Rename/Save operation of a workflow I can't find such an option. I apologize if this has been asked before.

Ilan
ksinkel

Re: Exif info deleted in workflow

Post by ksinkel »

The Save File widget in workflow automatically preserves Exif when saving to jpeg.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
Ilan

Post by Ilan »

Thanks for the quick reply. In the workflow that I use I end up with images without the Exif comments. What could be wrong?
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

We've tested this in the past, and if I recall correctly, if you check the checkboxes: Include Profile, Include Comments in Save As dialog, close the PWP and reopen it, these settings will be applied by the Save Widgets in the workflow. Conversely, if you uncheck the boxes in Save As, close the PWP, and reopen it, the Wave widget will remember the settings at close and will skip the EXIF/ICC. Changing the As If settings during a PWP session will not have an effect on Save Widget behaviour - the settings at the PWP last close matter.

Could you please confirm it if that's still the case? There was a thread on it long time ago, but I can't find it anymore (maybe in beta testing?).
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
Ilan

Post by Ilan »

Thanks, now the workflow saves the Exif information. I checked both the "include profile" and the "include comments" and restarted PWP. After that the workflow is fine.
Bob Walker
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon R5

Post by Bob Walker »

Ilan,

What you're now doing sounds like it will work, but I think it's overkill.

To ensure that EXIF metadata is included in a "normal" "Save" or "Save as" dialog, all you need to check is "Include Comments". You do not have to check "Include profile".

The save widget in a workflow does not have options to set the profile/comments for a jpeg file, and remembers the state of the normal Save dialog when the workflow is run. You do not have to close/re-open PWP, you just need to make sure the last normal save operation had the option boxes checked the way you want them before the workflow is run.

Hopefully in the next PWP update, the jpeg save dialog in a workflow will not have any memory of the way the options were set in the normal (non-workflow) environment, and will provide workflow-dependent EXIF save options. Sometimes I want to include EXIF data, and sometimes I do not, and I have to remember to implicitly set the state of the workflow save widget by doing a manual Save in the normal PWP environment before I run the workflow.

Bob Walker
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Bob, I checked it again, and it seems to me that changing Save As EXIF/ICC save settings withing PWP session has no effect on whether the EXIF/ICC is saved by the Save widget. Turning PWP off and on somehow helps Save widget memorize the settings at the last shut down. I do agree that not having explicit control on the JPG save parameters (btw: how does the widget treat Colour Subsampling setting? Is the JPG quality setting the same scale measure in Save As dialog and Save widget?) is quite misleading.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

I have not been able to create any cases where the Save File widget set to Save as Jpeg deletes EXIF comments that were present in an image file. In particular, I see no effect from settings made in the Save As dialog. If someone has a case where a file that originally had comments loses them upon saving as jpeg, could you please send me a description of the steps so that I can reproduce it. (Please make sure you are running 5.0.1.8. The version is in the titlebar of the main window.)

Let me make a general statement about workflow. As many of you know, Workflow executes in its own background process. Thus it reads the registry to establish its preferences and color management settings at the time the Workflow window is created and the process is launched. These settings may be different from the current settings in the main process if you have changed them during the session. However Exif is not a preference setting so it really has no bearing on the current discussion.

Thank you,

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Could you try this recipe to remove EXIF from a file by Save widget:

1) Open PWP, open any file; in Save As, uncheck 'Include Comments' box, then save this file; close PWP.
2) Open PWP again, open Workflow window, drag any file with EXIF into it, process with Save Widget.

Whether or not the Save widget saves the EXIF seem to depend on the Save As 'Include Comments' box status at the time of the previous PWP session close down.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

You are right -- there does seem to ba memory of the last session. This is certainly a bug and will be fixed in the next update. Thank you for responding so promptly.

Incidentally, the next release of PWP does add Jpeg options to the Save File widget.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color