Mask Edit (aka Re-Open Mask Dialog Box) seems to be Missing for Precise G Blur Amount Mask

Moderator: jsachs

jfoster
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon/5DMIII

Mask Edit (aka Re-Open Mask Dialog Box) seems to be Missing for Precise G Blur Amount Mask

Post by jfoster »

Mask Edit (aka Re-Open Mask Dialog Box) seems to be Missing for Precise G Blur Amount Mask.
See attachment.

Also, I always use the same mask for Amount and Mask. Is there a way to tell PWP to use one mask for both?

Jeff

PGB_Mask_Edit_Missing.jpg
PGB_Mask_Edit_Missing.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Re: Mask Edit (aka Re-Open Mask Dialog Box) seems to be Missing for Precise G Blur Amount Mask

Post by tomczak »

If you insert Masks transformation before Precise Gaussian Blur and set one or more masks there, they will be available for all mask buttons in Blur with 2 clicks.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jfoster

Re: Mask Edit (aka Re-Open Mask Dialog Box) seems to be Missing for Precise G Blur Amount Mask

Post by jfoster »

Thanks, I'll do that, but in all the years using PGB, I've never (maybe once?) used different masks for Amount and Mask.

Jeff
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I can't let allow two Amount controls in the same transformation to potentially modify the same mask as this would make one set of changes overwrite the other. However, I could potentially add a checkbox to default the Mask to match the Amount and then hide the Mask control.

I might point out that once you set the Mask to identify what you want to blur, you can just leave Amount at 100% everywhere, so you really only need one mask. The only time you need an Amount mask is if you want to eliminate (or blend with the input image) some of the blurred object defined by the Mask.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jfoster

Post by jfoster »

"I might point out that once you set the Mask to identify what you want to blur, you can just leave Amount at 100% everywhere, so you really only need one mask." - Perfect. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Jeff
jfoster

Post by jfoster »

"I might point out that once you set the Mask to identify what you want to blur, you can just leave Amount at 100% everywhere, so you really only need one mask."

That doesn't seem to be the case. When just the Mask is used, there is edge erosion on the image. If just the Amount mask is used, there is a halo around the image. When both are used, all is good. See attached images. Don't know if there's a bug lurking here or not.

" I could potentially add a checkbox to default the Mask to match the Amount and then hide the Mask control."
That's kind of what I had in mind.

Blur2.jpg
Blur2.jpg (134.18 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
Blur1.jpg
Blur1.jpg (41.26 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
Blur3.jpg
Blur3.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Do both of your masks have sharp edges (i.e. is the mask that you use in Amount feathered or blurred)?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

I did an experiment with sharp-edged masks and Precision Gaussian, and it does seem that the Amount mask uses antialiasing at the edges, while the Blurring mask does not.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The latest version 8.0.74 uses the Mask as the Amount if there is a mask image but no amount image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jfoster

Post by jfoster »

tomczak wrote: March 28th, 2020, 3:11 am Do both of your masks have sharp edges (i.e. is the mask that you use in Amount feathered or blurred)?
Feathered mask edges.