Program Crash

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Program Crash

Post by Marpel »

I just downloaded the latest version, which solved a minor issue (referenced in another thread).

However, now I have tried three attempts at compositing two images (48 bit, 2000 x 2997 so not very large) together using a mask (polygon, taking up about 1/8th of the image) on the base image. The operation completes itself but, within seconds, PWP crashes.

The first two attempts were just after running the Zoom Blur, and a few images in the Browser Window, but the most recent attempt occurred after taking a break and shutting off the computer for awhile and no Zoom Blur was used, just the straight single Composite operation, with only the two images in the Browser.

Seems the simplest of task is causing a crash. Suggestions?

Marv
jsachs

Re: Program Crash

Post by jsachs »

Any details you can provide will help me reproduce the problem here. For example a workspace script, screen shots of the Composite dialog box, copies of the images, etc.

I have not changed Composite recently.

Also can you check and see if older versions have the same problem?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I just tried the same operation again, two times, with the same images. This time the composite process was successful on both occasions (the only difference was the size of the mask). However, on both of these occasions, when I did a "File Save As" (using the icon), the file was saved but PWP crashed both times.

When this first occurred, I was not paying real close attention (as I was not expecting a crash, of course), so I can't be completely certain a crash(es) occurred at the save stage or immediately after the composite operation completed.

I have no clue about the workspace script thing without some detailed instruction, so about the best I can do is provide a copy of the two images, if that is of help.

And, although I do not have a previous version to do a comparison, I can say that prior to the update today, the same operations did not result in a crash.

Marv
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

I should add, further to the most recent post, I just went through the same operation again (trying to get this image done), with multiple composites along the same lines (chipping away at some smaller stuff within the same image, using the polygon) and the composite portion seemed fairly stable.

However, when I moved the cursor towards the File Save As button and was about to click, the program crashed (losing the work). The cursor was hovering over the button or very close to it.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Sounds like it is related to the popup help text that is displayed a second or two after you move the cursor over a button (the small yellow box that shows up next to the button). Maybe you can check if this causes problems in the absence of compositing.

If you go to File Preferences and turn on Auotsave on OK, Picture Window will save all your work every time you click OK on a transformation. To recover, use the Script/Open Workspace command and select autosave.workspace.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I was able to get it to fail here and I think I found the problem. I think it only happens if you close the Composite dialog box while the Mask dialog box is still open. I believe it was an unwanted side effect of a recent change to restore control to transformation dialog boxes when closing mask dialog and color picker windows.

I have fixed the problem and will post a new release tomorrow morning after a little more testing. In the meantime, you can avoid the problem if you close any open mask dialog box or color picker before closing the transformation dialog box. This bug affects all transformations that display overlays on their input image and also use masks or color pickers.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color