print

Moderator: jsachs

kb7smm

print

Post by kb7smm »

I resize my image to 9x7 inches using Picture Window Resize. I want to print on 8x10 paper so that I get my 9x7 image centered on the 8x10 paper. I don't have a printer but I use Costco or Adorama print service. These services crop my image on their 8x10 paper. They want me to crop to fit their paper. What can I do to get my 9x7 image centered on 8x10 paper?
jsachs

Re: print

Post by jsachs »

Assuming they print full bleed (printed all the way to the edge of the paper), you can use the Add Border transformation to add 0.5in white border on all four sides of the image.

If they print with margins, then you need to know the size of those margins.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
kb7smm

Post by kb7smm »

What I ended up doing is using the layout transformation. I made the background 10x8 and added a 9x7 panel. I did this because I wanted a smaller visible border to surround the image. I am still learning to use this program. Thanks for making a excellent image program available.
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

Jonathan ....
What you suggested is exactly what I do when printing at Costco. Here's a little more FYI.

I print most of my images at what you called "full bleed" (Costco calls it borderless). However, I learned that because they can't guarantee the registration of the paper with the print head, their printers are set up to purposely have the image "overrun" the edge of the paper so there is zero risk that any white border will show. In other words, by design, some of the image intentionally falls outside the edge of the paper.

I discovered this when I had an 8x10 portrait that I believed had enough space above the top of the person's head to more than accommodate the portion of the image that would be hidden by the overlap of the frame. So I was surprised when the print was framed to find that the top of the head had literally no space between it and the edge of the frame.

So I did some experiments by adding small borders to see what size added border would be exactly equal to the designed "overrun" and place the the edge of the actual image right at the edge of the paper. Turns out that at my Costco at least, I need to add a border to each edge with a pixel count equal to just under 1"% of the pixel count in the full image. Thus, on an 8x10, the borders on the 8" edge are 25% wider than the borders on the 10" edge, reflecting the 1.25:1 length to width ratio of an 8x10.