color balance

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: color balance

Post by den »

Winfried... ...you have a diabolical mind... ...never would have considered this transform!!! Thank you...

FYI...
If you adjust the Auto Black and Auto White default settings of the Color Negative transform to be black and white respectively, you can use the 'positive' image version with an Amount Mask or less than a 100% Amount without the 'negative' image adversely showing up in the Preview... ...illustrated are your suggested settings with a boost in Saturation with the 'positive' as Input...
Screenshot (7)-1.jpg
Screenshot (7)-1.jpg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
...den...
CKirkwood
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: unknown

Post by CKirkwood »

You folks are amazing!

My mother did color slide photography in the 50s and 60s, first on Kodachrome and then Ektachrome. These were stored in poor conditions, with heat and humidity. The Kodachromes still look good, but the Ektachromes have all gone very badly magenta.

Online discussions indicate that early Ektachrome processing didn't hold up well, even with good storage. So if you have slides from that period that you haven't looked at for a while . . .

--Craig
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

Winfried... ...thank you again for the suggestion: convert to Gray-Negative, then restore with Color-Negative with its saturation, R-G-B gamma, and auto-black/white points full range adjustments...

I recently received a request to restore a 3.5x3.5 inch faded print that had been in an exposed circular mat...

Using a combination of Winfried's and my suggested workflow with Misc Tools/other transforms, I was able to reasonably restore a composition, 10x8 aspect ratio crop of the originally scanned print with the result:
img002_Ori_Restored_600px.jpg
img002_Ori_Restored_600px.jpg (272.16 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
There was enough resolution with up-scaling to make a reasonable 2.5x2 inch print that went into a family photo album.

If there is further interest, more detail can be given... ... PWP's tools/transforms are truly remarkable... ...looking forward to PWP 8.

...just having fun with PWP 7...

...den...