Salvaged Tips from old Message Board

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Salvaged Tips from old Message Board

Post by jsachs »

Den generously volunteered to recover the tips section of the old Discus message board we used before switching to phpBB a number of years ago. Until I can create a more permanent home for them, they can be now be accessed via the following link:

http://www.dl-c.com/Discus-1//5234/5234.html
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Salvaged Tips from old Message Board

Post by den »

I have been slowly going through the old message board Support threads and selecting those that seem of interest as a Tip for image post-processing... ...not much progress will be made until the distractions of summer and fall activities settle down to the rainy days of late fall and winter...

...but I did re-discover the original 2008 post by DieterM* that I have used many times with variants to provide more interesting skies/clouds that may be of immediate interest... ...this texture has also been used with different Tints and added linear Gradients as virtual portrait backgrounds...
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 04:13 pm:
If you want more "light" clouds instead of that heavy cumulunimbus they can be created atrificially in PWP with Texture.
I create a new image with 1024 *1024 and set the tile size to the same size and then resizing the final picure to the needet size.
This is to avoid repetation effects when more the one tile is used.
Here a example:
12313.jpg
12313.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Administrator: -- a PWP7 updated illustration suggestion, July 21, 2017:
12313-1_PWP7.jpg
12313-1_PWP7.jpg (192.72 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
Notes:
1) No changes to Frequency, Angle, and Power;
2) Selecting the largest image/tile size of 4096 pixels will most likely eliminate the need to Tile;
3) Select Random and 16-bit from OPTions;
4) Color 1 where Hue = 60; Saturation = 65; and Value = 65 is a common sky/clouds image area tone/color at least for my latitude; and
5) Color 2 was set to 98% tone to avoid adding to any existing White point clipping
...den...

Dieter
Thank you Dieter...
...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Another useful trick with simulated skies is to apply the Warp transformation to add perspective and make it look like the clouds closer to the horizon are receding.
sky.jpg
sky.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
couman

Post by couman »

Thank you -- I had forgotten about this.
Also -- use of a large radius soft 50% transparent brush with the smudge transformation is sometimes very helpful in disrupting or concealing the ordered structure created by the texture transformation.
Bob Coutant