Post by jsachs »

Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: Clever idea for scanning film

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Very nice idea, thanks for sharing.
I did something similar with medium format negatives my mother has from way back time.
My film scanner is not capable of processing medium format, so I took a white sheet of paper, illuminated it with 2 halogen spots, put a glass plate above it and put the negatives on top of the glass.
My first attempt was with a fuji bridge camera, with I think 6 MP, and later, when I had a DSLR, I did it again with higher resolution.
The negatives were black and white, so the color temp was of no importance at all.
Dieter Mayr
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Post by Winfried »

There are many ideas like this in the internet.
Last march I hold an workshop about this topic during the "Eppsteiner Fototage 2017"
Although I own a Canon CanoScan FS4000 US and a Nikon Coolscan LS-V ED I bought the Pentax Film Duplicator (quite pricey).
But no more trouble with interfaces (SCSI) or drivers. :-)
The results depend (naturally) on the quality of the slides/negativs and I found details in the slides, I never recognized before.
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Very clever, thanks for sharing. Might I suggest a second sheet of glass, to keep the negatives flat... Great idea for a few old 4x5 negs and positives I've got that the Epson V500 just can't handle.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

You have to be careful using a second sheet of glass so as to avoid Newton's rings. Better if you secure the film by its edges or from the ends.

Personally, I might use a light box instead of a tablet or monitor as a light source, but not everyone has one.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Mark, I have used a pair of rulers put on the borders of the negatives to keep them flat.
I have used steel rulers, but if it isn't too light everything straight will do.
Dieter Mayr