Can't open or save files

Moderator: jsachs

Staylor2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic Lumix G9

Can't open or save files

Post by Staylor2 »

This is a new behavior on a Windows 10 computer. I have run PWPro on this computer before but today when I try to open a file from the menu I get the hour glass but it never goes away and I have to close the program. If I right click and select open with PWPro it will open the file and I can do any operations on it. Then, however, when I try to save the file, it again locks up. I was able to create and save a layout file. I upgraded to the latest PWPro version and that made no difference.
Steve Taylor
Staylor2

Re: Can't open or save files

Post by Staylor2 »

After clicking on File>Save as, I waited a while and then went to have dinner. About an hour later I came back and the "save as" dialog box was up and I was able to save the file. I don't know how long it took to finally come up.
Steve Taylor
Staylor2

Post by Staylor2 »

And now I have rebooted my computer and PWPro seems to be working correctly. That was weird.
Steve Taylor
CKirkwood
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: unknown

Post by CKirkwood »

You might want to run checks on your hard drive, and also confirm that your important files are identical to their backups (and don't write over the backups).

I wouldn't just ignore this, especially if something like this happens again, because it might be a flaky hard drive that will eventually fail. I speak from sad experience.

--Craig
dvhirst
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon 70D

Post by dvhirst »

There are a number of utility apps that continuously monitor hard drive SMART diagnostic information and provide an alarm when things start to go bad. I've used one of them for a long time now, and it has saved me much grief. The reality is hard drives fail; it is a matter of when, not if. The SMART diagnostic info gives useful advance notice that a drive is starting to fail, so you have time to act on the knowledge. I hesitate to recommend one of these apps, but searching the topic (and perhaps looking at the Windows Secrets newsletter) should help you find one that works for your setup. And the discussion on this Board about backup implementation is also an excellent reference.

Best wishes.
Don Hirst
Canon 70D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L
Canon G10, G7x